Dinner Ideas Real Food 101 Real Food Tips

Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken

December 7, 2014

Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken
One of the simplest pleasures I enjoy during the fall and winter months is pulling a slow roasted chicken out of the oven for dinner.

I remember years ago thinking that cooking a whole chicken was surely the hardest thing I could possibly do in the kitchen, but as it turns out I actually crave roasted chicken dinner night because it is so very simple. And while there usually ends up being a fight of sorts over dividing up the insanely delicious crispy skin, it really is a family favorite dinner, comforting and nourishing.

Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken
I usually get a load of root veggies like carrots and potatoes right into the pan with the chicken and it really turns into a one pot meal requiring very little hands on time!

Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken
I have found slow roasting to work particularly well with cooking a pastured chicken as they tend to be leaner. They can come out quite dry if you don’t cook them right. You won’t be disappointed with this method of slow roasting – the meat literally falls off the bone!

Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken
It is so worth finding a trustworthy farmer that pastures their chickens to supply you with delicious, nourishing meat throughout the year. If you are unsure of where to start, head out to your farmer’s markets or your local WAPF chapter and ask around! The nutritional profile of animals that have been on pasture is far superior to that of conventional meat.
Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken

• 1 whole pastured chicken (mine are usually around 6 pounds)
  • 2-3 carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 2-3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 cups white wine, bone broth, or water
  • Butter or coconut oil for the outside of the chicken
  • Sea salt, pepper, and thyme to sprinkle the outside of the chicken
  1. Wash out the chicken, pat dry, and tie up the legs with cooking twine.
  2. Put the veggies in the bottom of your roasting pan along with the wine (or bone broth or water).
  3. Put the chicken BREAST DOWN in the roasting pan and roast at 250 degrees with the lid ON for 3 hours.
  4. After 3 hours, flip the chicken to BREAST UP, butter the skin, sprinkle with seasonings.
  5. Roast another 45 minutes with HEAT UP to 350, and with lid OFF.
  6. Let your chicken rest for a few minutes outside of the oven before cutting.

Tips:

• I usually serve our chicken with whatever veggies are in season along with the carrots from the roasting pan. In the fall we have a lot of roasted squash and creamed or buttered greens alongside – I just put the squash in the oven right along with the chicken for the last hour or so. In the winter I put quartered potatoes down into the pan with the carrots and use up my freezer stash of garden veggies. In the spring time we love having side salads or roasted asparagus!
  • Pour out the juices from the bottom of the pan into a sauce pan, bring to a simmer, and whisk in some white rice flour to make a gravy if you wish! Add sea salt and pepper to taste – it is so good!
  • I have 2 roasting pans of different sizes that I use depending on what I am putting in the pan. If I am just doing the chicken with the basic veggies from above I use my smaller roasting pan. If I am getting potatoes down into the pan I use my larger roasting pan.
  • Use any leftover chicken for any chicken dishes you love, salads, or wraps! I love using it in soup like chicken noodle or chicken stew, or in casseroles to make the meat stretch another dinner or 2.
  • Change up the seasonings to your families taste! All purpose season, rosemary, or even just simple salt and pepper all work great!

This post was shared at Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, & Allergy Free Wednesday!

• Reply Nellie Vice December 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I wish there was a place in Tuscaloosa, Alabama where I could get pastured chickens, or meat of any kind that are not fed the conventional way. I have found someone who sells eggs, but doesn’t sell anything else. There are no co-ops close by that sell organic foods. I do find meats that say they are organically grown in the grocery store, but that still is not from local farmers.

By the way your Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken looks wonderful. When I was growing up this is the way we cooked and I have started cooking this way again. It looks wonderful.

• Reply Renee Kohley December 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hi Nellie :) Have you looked for a local WAPF chapter near you – up in the Tips section there is a link and you can look it up – they would be most helpful in helping you find a source. Also the Eat Wild site has state by state look ups on sourcing – here is Alabama :: http://www.eatwild.com/PRODUCTS/alabama.html. Also the real milk site has a state by state look up on real milk but many of the raw milk farmers also provide meat of some kind – here is Alabama maybe there is something near you :: http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/alabama/#al

• Reply The Food Hunter December 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

Photos are amazing!

• Reply Jessica December 8, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Looks so good, Renee! I love roasted chicken and you really laid out the steps nicely.

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish December 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I LOVE a good slow roasted chicken! Your recipe sounds awesome. You got some great photos too!

• Reply Anni December 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Slow-roasted chicken (or turkey, or ham…) is always the best. Especially with the herbs. Gorgeous!

• Reply Loriel December 9, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Nothing beats simplicity and comfort quite like a slow roasted chicken! Love the recipe.

• Reply Mavi December 9, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Roasted chicken is such a life-saver. This one sounds delish!

• Reply Megan Stevens December 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm

This looks perfect. Roasted chicken is one of those foods that is so simple and yet it tastes like the best food on earth. Wonderful instructions and photos to inspire, thanks!

• Reply Andrea Fabry December 9, 2014 at 6:21 pm

This is my favorite food in the world. I love your spin on it. I want to try the white wine.

• Reply linda spiker December 9, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Such a beautiful and healthy recipe! Love it!

• Reply Barbara December 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I have two pastured chickens in my freezer right now, can’t wait to roast them! Thanks for sharing your method!

• Reply Libby December 10, 2014 at 12:21 am

What a beautifully simple recipe – 2 of my favorite things! :)

• Reply Chloe @ How We Flourish December 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Looks great! I’m always looking for simple roasted chicken recipes. So many are really complicated.

• Reply 7 Kitchen Staples To Stop Buying and Start Making - Live Simply December 11, 2014 at 12:00 pm

[…] and antibiotics. Check at your local WAPF chapter if you have a hard time finding a source. Roasting your own chicken tastes every bit as good, and you will have actual nourishment from […]

• Reply Katherine December 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hi,

What size pan do you use when roasting the chicken alone? When clicking the link for “smaller” and “larger” pans, both go to the 18″ roasting pan. I’ll be making this recipe over the weekend. Thank you :-)

• Reply Renee Kohley December 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hi Katherine! Oh I’m so sorry it did that – it looks like it defaults to that 18 inch one no matter which one I click – thank you for saying something! I use the 15 inch one if I am just doing the chicken and the basics. Hope that helps – enjoy your dinner this weekend :)

• Reply Stephanie KL December 13, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The pictures look gorgeous and the process is quite simple. Could you explain how you flip the chicken in the roasting pan? I have visions of grease splatter all over. Thanks

• Reply Renee Kohley December 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Hi Stephanie! That is a great question! I use a long pair of tongs and get inside the cavity and just sort of “roll” it over. It isn’t always perfect 😉 I have used a wooden spoon inside the cavity to lift it up before and just a fork or something on the outside to help it turn. Hope that helps!

• Reply Stephanie KL December 15, 2014 at 12:16 am

Now I have a plan for flipping my roasted chicken for Christmas dinner. Thank you.

• Reply Renee Kohley December 15, 2014 at 6:22 am

Haha! Great! You’ll be fine! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Sunday Snippets December 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] Simple Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken from Raising Generation Nourished. Wow! What a gorgeous chicken and I bet it tastes delish! […]

• Reply Sandrine Love December 15, 2014 at 2:19 pm

While I really love the way a whole roasted chicken looks when served, and your photos look so enticing to me, I like to cut my chicken down the middle in order to crisp the entire skin. It is referred to as “butterfly” chicken. Do you think your breast up and breast down method will achieve the same result? I believe you saw my recent photograph of the “butterfly” chicken method that I posted. Instead of making gravy with white rice flour, I highly recommend kudzu root! I am not sure if I may link to an article I’ve found about the benefits of kudzu root. If you have an interest, let me know and I will. I learned about kudzu root from Jessica Prentice, who wrote “Full Moon Feast” and whom I have taken a number of cooking classes from when I lived in San Francisco. She is one of the worker/owners of Three Stone Hearth, a community supported kitchen.

• Reply Renee Kohley December 15, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Hi Sandrine! Yes we love a butterflied chicken! Yum – the skin is a hot item here! Ha! I actually use arrowroot for thickening our gravy a lot too, which I believe is a flour you recommend as well. Sometimes the rice flour is a bit more budget friendly for my family. I do like kudzu root as well!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 15, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I did forget to answer your question about the breast up/down method – the skin on the top will only get browned and crispy so this method would not get the entire chicken skin browned.

• Reply Raine Saunders December 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful pictures Renee! We roast a pastured chicken once a week, and use the bones for broth and then hopefully have leftovers for lunch the following day. I say hopefully as with my husband and a growing teenage boy in the house it is often the case most of the meat is consumed from our first meal. One of my favorite things to do with leftover chicken besides making soup is to make homemade chicken salad with my mayonnaise recipe. It’s really delicious over lettuce and other vegetables, and with a homemade dressing either olive oil-based or something with cultured dairy such as yogurt or buttermilk.

We have not tried butterflying a chicken yet, that’s on my list!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Thank you Raine! I can only imagine you go through most of the chicken in one sitting with a growing boy! To be honest now that Caitlyn is table side eating the same stuff we are we definitely go through most of a chicken now! I can’t imagine how the teenage years will be!

• Reply mom24boys December 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I am a very experienced cook but figuring out how to cook pastured meats (as opposed to conventional) has been sorta hit-n-miss. I think this method irons out some of the problems I have been having. Particularly, turning over the chicken and turning up the heat for the last bit.

I will be trying this with a turkey breast I am cooking for Christmas day. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 18, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Fantastic – I think you will like this method!

• Reply Kari January 9, 2015 at 12:44 am

I made this last night in my Pamp chef red stone roaster. This was sooo good. I made it late, so i could not eat it right away. I put it in the fridge until after work. The broth had gelled up beautifully around this delicious chicken. I pulled out the bones and removed all the meat. So good! Then I put All the scraps in the crockpot and have it cooking to make bone broth, on low 24 hours right? . I am thinking the wine helped extract all the gel off the bones. I did add the gel and veggies back to the crockpot too. Thank you for a great success on my first cooking journey with a whole chicken and making bone broth. ! I have made many turkeys and never knew what to do with all those bones soup jus seemed silly with out understanding the benefits of the broth… Got it. Now will collect discarded chicken bones and make broth! Thanks…

• Reply Renee Kohley January 9, 2015 at 6:25 am

Hi Kari! That is awesome! Sounds perfect! Thanks for checking back in!

• Reply Top 4 Anti-Inflammatory Herbs January 26, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] Slow roasted chicken […]

• Reply Nourishing Picky Eaters - We Got Real February 9, 2015 at 1:12 pm

[…] the fastest around here is spinach lasagna soup. We enjoy real food casseroles and Sunday dinner roasted chickens or beef roasts a lot. We are big time breakfast eaters and we love a huge variety. My husband makes […]

• Reply Potato & Leek Soup - Raising Generation Nourished February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am

[…] hunkered down in my kitchen, flipped the oven on to keep the house warm with a succulent roasted chicken, and got my girls to work at the stovetop with some comforting potato and leek […]

• Reply A Gluten-Free Passover April 1, 2015 at 6:02 pm

[…] Simple Slow-Roasted Pastured Chicken […]

• Reply Spatchcock BBQ Chicken - Raising Generation Nourished May 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm

[…] than my crockpot chicken method, this is the method I use until I can slow roast my chickens during the fall and winter. Since cooking chickens spatchcock style offers so much more yummy skin […]

• Reply Slow Roasted BBQ Whole Chicken July 8, 2015 at 1:33 pm

[…] method is really the same as a simple slow roasted chicken, only the top of the chicken gets a happy little basting of BBQ sauce toward the end. I even […]

• Reply Swarna October 8, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hi Renee,

I have a pasture-raised chicken I got yesterday and want to roast it today. My chicken in only 3.5 pounds. The chicken in your recipe is about 6 pounds. I never slow-roasted a whole chicken before so I am bit nervous and don’t want to mess it up as I spent $17.50 on this chicken! I even purchased the roaster from Amazon that you recommended.

My question is….would the roasting time change (reduce) based on the size of the chicken? Please advise.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Reply Renee Kohley October 8, 2015 at 9:16 am

Hi Swarna! Yes you can probably back off on the cook time just a little – maybe just a couple hours breast down – and then you will still want about the 40ish minutes breast up so it gets nice and crispy :)

• Reply Swarna October 9, 2015 at 7:48 am

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the response! I reduced the bake time to 2.25 hours at 250 degrees and followed the recipe accordingly for the remaining steps. It turned out great. Meat was so soft and falling apart! And yes, the skin was so yummy. We enjoyed it. This is one my weekly menu atleast once for the rest of the fall & winter.

Bone broth getting simmered with the bones from the roast chicken :)

Have a great day:)

• Reply Renee Kohley October 10, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Oh that is great Swarna! I’m glad you enjoyed it! You will love your roasted chicken nights this fall and winter I’m sure :)

• Reply Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin October 28, 2015 at 6:16 pm

[…] can put a slow roasted chicken or roast beef in the oven and roast your pumpkin to go along with it – such a simple supper […]

• Reply Homemade Cranberry Sauce - Raising Generation Nourished November 2, 2015 at 1:03 pm

[…] Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken […]

• Reply Herb Roasted Chicken With Herb-Infused Gravy December 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm

[…] busy weeks I like to do a very simple slow roasted chicken recipe, but if I’m making one on a weekend where I have some time and access to fresh herbs, […]

• Reply Nutrient Dense Meatloaf - Raising Generation Nourished January 15, 2016 at 1:52 pm

[…] More real food ideas you might like: Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken […]

• Reply How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals - Raising Generation Nourished January 30, 2016 at 7:30 pm

[…] still very much love to slow roast my chickens , especially in the winter. You just can’t take the traditional foodie out of me […]

• Reply 15 Minute Ginger Chicken Stir Fry - Raising Generation Nourished March 5, 2016 at 2:40 pm

[…] cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed (use leftovers from your whole crockpotted chicken, whole roasted chicken, or whole Instant Pot chicken, […]

• Reply 20 Minute Spring Stir Fry With Garlic Butter Sauce - Raising Generation Nourished April 22, 2016 at 8:32 pm

[…] cups cooked chicken, chopped (I use leftovers from a roasted chicken dinner or Instant Pot […]

• Reply Debbie June 15, 2016 at 8:03 am

This sounds great. I am going to try this. Do you put the chicke on the bottom of the pan or on a grate? Thanks

• Reply Renee Kohley June 16, 2016 at 9:24 am

Hi Debbie! I just set the chicken on top of the veggies :)