Batch Up Meals Breakfast Ideas school lunches

Morning Glory Muffins :: Gluten & Refined Sugar Free

January 4, 2015

Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
Why, oh *why* are the little people in my house such morning people?! Can anyone answer this for me?!

My girls are ready to go the instant their eyes open, and while I do like to make breakfast our biggest meal of the day, many mornings I am just not feelin’ it for doing a bunch of cooking. I do a lot of cooking on the weekends when we can wake up slower and don’t have to be in the car by 7:55 a.m. sharp for school drop off.

Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
Morning glory muffins are one of my staple winter breakfasts to have in the freezer because they don’t require a lot of seasonal produce or ingredients. I always have carrots in the fridge, and raisins in the pantry, and with just a scoop or 2 of raw honey these muffins don’t need any sugar to be sweet!

Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
The carrots give such a happy orange color to breakfast, and we can use all the color we can get during our dark, blizzard filled winters in Michigan. It’s a great way to get a little veg in the kids for the morning, and you really can’t taste them. If you think they will fuss about seeing the carrots just buzz them up smaller in the food processor instead of shredding them.

Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
This batch of muffins makes a dozen so I very often double up so I can get them into the freezer. It makes my busy mornings much easier when I can pull out a few muffins into a basket and serve them with hard boiled eggs or sausage, and glasses of raw milk. They taste even better with a big smear of butter, and the girls love coconut butter on them too.

Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
You can pack these up into the school lunch boxes right from the freezer as well!

Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use!” Please know I would never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Morning Glory Muffins :: Gluten & Refined Sugar Free

1. Blend the butter, honey, maple syrup, eggs, lemon, and milk for a minute or two.
  2. Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices, and blend through with the beaters.
  3. Fold in the carrots and raisins with a spatula.
  4. Bake in silicone baking cups or a buttered muffin tin at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Check around the 30 minute mark in case our ovens run different. By the way, I really love my silicone muffin cups to make clean up super simple!

So tell me! Are you a morning person??? Let me know how these help your morning along if you give them a try!

This post was shared at Fat Tuesday,Real Food Wednesday, & Allergy Free Wednesday!

• Reply Melissa January 6, 2015 at 1:35 am

I just wanted to let you know that I made a batch of these this evening and they are so delicious! I will be making these again! You are such an inspiration to me, and a wealth of knowledge. I love your instagram feed also, you have such a beautiful family! God Bless!!

• Reply Renee Kohley January 7, 2015 at 6:19 am

Hey Melissa! Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 Glad the muffins were great for you!

• Reply Roxy pittman January 8, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I would love to try all your baking recipes, but my family is not gluten free and I don’t really want to buy the different types of flours for the recipe. Is there a conversion from the gluten free flours to whole wheat or white flour?

• Reply Renee Kohley January 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Hi Roxy 🙂 I haven’t been able to play around with wheat flours for years, but you should be able to equally swap all purpose flour for the gluten free flours. Get a feel for the batter that way and add more flour if it is too wet, or add more liquid if it is too dry. The rest of the ingredients should be the same! I hope that helps! Thanks for asking – that is a great question!

• Reply Roxy pittman January 9, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Anna@Green Talk January 8, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I am wondering if I can swap out all the flour for GF oats? Looks so yummy.

• Reply Renee Kohley January 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Hi Anna – you could grind up the oats to oat flour – I would soak it in the liquid over night for better digestion though. I am not sure how texture will compare but it should work 🙂

• Reply Anna January 8, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hmmm… muffins for breakfast, sounds awesome! Need to get my husband to bake some for me 🙂

• Reply Jennifer Margulis January 8, 2015 at 3:18 pm

These look fabulous. Are those reusable muffin liners?

• Reply Renee Kohley January 8, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Hi Jennifer! Yes they are! There is a link to them in the recipe box!

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish January 8, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Love this recipe + plus how can you resist a yummy muffin with all of that delicious pasture butter? Yum! These are going on my list to make.

• Reply Megan Stevens January 8, 2015 at 5:02 pm

MMMmmm, these are a favorite from my childhood!! Thank you for making a lovely GF, sugar-free version!! Lucky kids! 🙂

• Reply linda spiker January 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I love your recipes. These look amazing. I need to bake some and put them in the freezer. With only two of us now we just can’t eat them up like we used to when we had a house full.

• Reply Renee Kohley January 8, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Would you like me to send my bottomless pits over to eat them for you?! 😀 😀 They really do well in the freezer – I think you will enjoy them!

• Reply Chloe @ How We Flourish January 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Yum! I love muffins. And those muffin liners are super cute!

• Reply 100 Real Food Breakfast Recipes • Accidentally Green May 8, 2015 at 1:34 am

[…] Morning Glory Muffins (Gluten-Free) {Raising Generations Nourished} […]

• Reply 60 Quick Breakfast Ideas • Hilary Bernstein January 26, 2016 at 11:12 pm

[…] Morning Glory Muffins (gluten-free) from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply 100 Real Food Breakfast Recipes • Hilary Bernstein February 3, 2016 at 9:05 am

[…] Morning Glory Muffins (Gluten-Free) {Raising Generations Nourished} […]