I love the history behind traditional Irish soda bread. Just a little flour and salt with baking soda and soured milk to create a rise, it was simple meal the poor could count on.
Irish Soda Bread Biscuits :: Gluten Free with Nut, Egg, & Dairy Free Options
Author: Renee - www.raisinggenerationnourished.com
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (If you are nut free use a cup of seed flour or more brown rice/sorghum flour)
- 1 cup brown rice flour (Or sorghum flour)
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp aluminium free baking powder
- ¾ cup raisins (These are optional)
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 eggs, beaten (If you are egg free, use gelatin or flax “eggs”)
- ¼ cup yogurt (If you are dairy free coconut milk will work)
- ¼ cup soft butter (If you are dairy free use coconut oil or avocado oil)
- 2 TB honey
- Whisk the flours, baking soda, baking powder, raisins, and caraway seeds in a medium mixing bowl to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Roll the dough into balls and flatten slightly onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. You can get either 6 large or a dozen small biscuits from this batch.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes and allow them to cool a few minutes before lifting them off the baking sheet.
Let me know how you like the biscuits if you try them!