Four years ago last week our house lit up with the most joyful baby you will ever meet. I have videos of Claire smiling with her whole body from as early as 4 weeks and she can put a smile on just about anyone’s face. She is smart as a whip…and definitely has her own mind 😉
Last year after we did our summer blueberry picking, she decided she wanted a blueberry birthday party – and she has reminded me of this *every* week since then. Since there is rarely a time that she changes her mind on anything, I have been thinking about how I was going to pull off a blueberry birthday party since about August!We made a strawberry birthday cake for one of my daughters last year, so I dressed that recipe up with blueberries instead, and thought cream cheese frosting would be perfect. These cupcakes turned out really moist and had a fun deep blue color to them!
And since it’s not a birthday party without homemade ice cream in our house, we made blueberry swirl ice cream to go with our blueberry cupcakes, and I had one very happy 4 year old on my hands!
A quick note for all my allergen alert friends! This recipe is gluten, egg, and nut free and can be made dairy free very easily! I have a nephew with severe egg allergy so that is why all of our birthday items have to be completely egg free – I want everyone at the part to have fun! If you are dairy free, the cake part is completely dairy free as is, and instead of cream cheese frosting you can make either buttercream frosting following the frosting in THIS recipe and swap coconut cream for the butter. OR you can make whipped cream using coconut cream using THIS recipe!
Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
Blueberry Birthday Cupcakes!
BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES ::
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1¾ cups of organic pure cane sugar this is the one I use and I get mine at Costco
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup whole milk or <a href="http://www.raisinggenerationnourished.com/2015/02/diy-coconut-milk/" target="_blank" title="DIY Coconut Milk :: No Gums Fillers, Or Sweeteners">coconut milk
- 1 cup pureed blueberries
- ½ cup of avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 TB of apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB of vanilla
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING ::
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups organic powdered pure cane sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt.
- In a medium bowl, blend the milk, blueberry puree, oil, vanilla, and vinegar with hand beaters. Do not leave out the vinegar – I know it is a weird ingredient but it reacts with the baking soda to help with the rise since we aren’t using eggs!
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine.
- Scoop the batter into silicone muffin cups lined muffin tins (should make 2 dozen). You can use buttered muffin tins or paper muffin liners if you wish. I will be honest in saying that my experience has been that I get a better rise and finished product using silicone muffin cups with gluten-free baking - they are so inexpensive and a great investment for your kitchen baking!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check them around the 20 minute mark in case our ovens run differently.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Then take the cupcakes out of the silicone liners and let them cool completely before frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled you can make your frosting. Just put all the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and beat with hand beaters until smooth. Top each frosted cupcake with a blueberry!
- And since I usually get the question - this is the cupcake stand I use that you see in the pictures 😉
For more birthday treat fun you can check out my Treat Ideas board on Pintrest!
More real food recipes you might like:
CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE