Cold & Flu Season Dinner Ideas Nourishing Staples Real Food 101 Real Food Tips Soup

Roasted Mushroom Broth

October 13, 2017

Use this warm, earthy, and savory roasted mushroom broth for your favorite mushroom soups, stews, risottos, and pilafs!

Product links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” I received a copy of Broth & Stock for review purposes in compensation for this post. Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Healing, comforting, warming broth

Years ago it was one of the first things I learned how to cook. I was 23 and barely knew my way around the kitchen. That’s how most in my convenience food generation grew up, after all. But a health crisis in my early 20’s catapulted this kitchen novice into figuring out how to cook food that wasn’t from a box, and it changed my life forever.

Everything I was reading about healing using “real food” pointed toward broth. I tend to be one of those “jump in with both feet” kind of people, and within a week I purchased my first stock pot and began teaching myself how to cook.

Broth is so much more than food

What I ended up learning during those years of teaching myself how to cook was that cooking was so much more than just making food. Something about it made my heart more full. It didn’t just satisfy my stomach, it satisfied my soul.

Deep? Maybe. But I allowed the art of cooking engross me, and I fell in love with making myself food that had love and thought put into it. At the age of 23, I was learning where my food actually came from and that connection to the food we eat is so powerful.

Broth & Stock

I share my story because simple broth making was what made me fall in love with cooking. It opened my eyes to the importance of feeding myself well, and knowing where my food came from – something that I literally did not know, or give any thought to until I was 23.

And that is why I’m not sure that I have been more excited to share a cookbook with you than Broth & Stock by Jenny McGruther from the Nourished Kitchen! I know what learning how to make beautiful stocks and broths did for me, and it is literally the driving force behind the passion and purpose of this blog.

A whole cookbook about…broth?!

Yessss! Because broth is so much more than you think! In only the way Jenny does best, you will learn the differences between various broths and stocks, and how to use them best to make their flavors shine. From a variety of land and sea animal stocks and broths, to different vegetable broths, Broth & Stock has opened my horizons from using the same broth for every recipe I make.

Broth & Stock is also so much more than learning how to make beautiful, healing broth – the recipes in the second half of the book using those healing broths have been such a joy to bring to my kitchen. Being the novice, untrained cook that I am, I have learned so much from Jenny over the years how to bring out depths of flavor in meals using various herbs, spices, broths, wines, and seasonings. Or just leaving simplicity alone, and savoring the true flavor of something by not complicating it. The recipe for pho in the book is the best I have ever made, and the family favorite so far has been the Cream of Chicken Soup with Parsley & Chives. Everyone around the table had 2nd and 3rd bowl-fulls!

Roasted Mushroom Broth

I’ve been adding certain healing mushrooms to my bone broth making for extra medicinal benefits for the last few years, but I had never thought to make a broth with mushrooms alone – and boy have I been missing out! The earthy, savory flavor from the roasted mushroom infused broth is like nothing I have ever tasted before.

Here is an excerpt from Broth & Stock about the Roasted Mushroom Broth:

Roasting strengthens the flavor of mushrooms, amplifying the savory and almost meaty base notes that can give soups a unique foundational richness. Those savory flavors serve as a good match for meat and whole grains. Use this broth as a base for mushroom soups and stews or in risottos and pilafs. Using a wide variety of mushrooms will improve this broth’s flavor and complexity. I often use the stems and trimmings of wild mushrooms left over from foraging, as they give the broth a remarkable depth of flavor; however, using the button or cremini mushrooms easily available year-round in most grocery stores also yields a lovely broth, as roasting improves their flavor. You don’t need to take the peel off the onion, as it produces a lovely color, just split the onion in half and drop it in the pot. –“Broth and Stock”

Reprinted with permission from Broth & Stock from the Nourished Kitchen, written and photographed by Jennifer McGruther, 2016. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.

Roasted Mushroom Broth

• 3⁄4 pound mixed mushrooms or mushroom stems, chopped into 1⁄2-inch pieces
  • 1 yellow onion, skin on and halved crosswise
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 quarts cold water or Chicken Bone Broth
  • 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
  • 6 sprigs thyme
  1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
  2. Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet. Nestle the onion halves into the mushrooms, sprinkle the smashed garlic over, and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes in the heated oven.
  3. Remove the sheet from the oven and drop the roasted mushrooms and onions into a heavy stockpot. Pour in the broth and wine. Slip the sprigs of thyme into the pot and then bring it all to a simmer over medium-high heat. Continue simmering, covered, for about 30 minutes.
  4. Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve, then use a wide-mouthed funnel to pour it into two 1-quart jars, sealing the lids tightly. Cook with the broth right away or store it in the refrigerator for no more than 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the broth for upto 6 months, making sure to allow plenty of headspace if you're using glass jars.

• Reply Angela October 15, 2017 at 11:33 pm

This is great! 💙🍄

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish October 16, 2017 at 11:29 am

LOVE this!!! Roasted mushroom broth sounds perfect, so nourishing, especially with those shiitakes in there (at least it looks like you used some). I bet her cookbook is lovely!

• Reply Lindsey Dietz October 16, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Sounds heavenly! I’m starting to incorporate mushrooms more and more as I learn about their healing properties!

• Reply Jean October 16, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been learning so much about how amazingly beneficial mushrooms are for our health, and this sounds like so healing and comforting!

• Reply Vanessa October 16, 2017 at 6:31 pm

This sounds so warming and delicious. I think I would crave this when I was sick.

• Reply Yang October 16, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Sounds amazing! In Asian cooking we regularly use mushrooms in chicken broth, they are such a heavenly match. But what we don’t do is roasting, nor do we work with oven much. I am now so accustomed to roasting and cooking with oven in the nearly 20 years living in Canada – just can’t wait to try roasting some mushrooms for my broth next time. I absolutely love Jenny’s contents at the “Nourished Kitchen”. Thank you for sharing such a lovely recipe of hers!

• Reply linda spiker October 16, 2017 at 8:55 pm

This broth sounds so good! Especially for gravy:)

• Reply Melissa Schollaert October 16, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I love mushrooms and cannot wait to make this!

• Reply Irena Macri October 16, 2017 at 11:31 pm

You have such great roots in the kitchen. Beginning with broth is so symbolic, and it’s absolutely a staple. I love this version, and I can’t even imagine just how flavourful it is. Can’t wait to give this a go myself xx

• Reply Tina | The Worktop October 17, 2017 at 2:16 pm

I’ve been buying mushroom broth recently, and I love using it. I don’t know if the store bought one roasts the mushroom in the oven, but this sounds like such a lovely recipe to make at home.

• Reply Tina October 17, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Just reading the instructions has me craving for this!

• Reply Corrine October 17, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Love the idea of using mushrooms as the base for a stock! I can think of so many wonderful ways to enjoy this!

• Reply Jessica DeMay October 17, 2017 at 8:56 pm

This broth looks so flavorful! It would make a delicious base to a beef soup. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christina Shoemaker October 18, 2017 at 12:51 pm

What a great idea! There is so much you can do with this and it looks delicious!

• Reply Kari - Get Inspired Everyday! October 18, 2017 at 8:16 pm

This looks fantastic, I’ve never thought of roasting them before I put mushrooms into my veggies stock, but I have to try this right away!

• Reply STACEY CRAWFORD October 19, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I love this idea! Roasted mushrooms would make a wonderful stock or broth 🙂

• Reply Savory Steak and Mushroom Soup :: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, & Grain Free - Raising Generation Nourished October 21, 2017 at 6:36 pm

[…] week I introduced you all to Nourished Kitchen’s Roasted Mushroom Broth that I have completely and utterly fallen in love with this fall. I’m so thankful to have […]

• Reply Carrie Forrest October 22, 2017 at 9:42 pm

This looks amazing, I want to try this soon! I think this would be great with a sandwich.

• Reply ChihYu October 22, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Love mushroom and chicken broth combo ! It reminds me of my favorite Chinese chicken bone broth soup made with mushrooms ! Delicious !

• Reply Cristina Curp October 22, 2017 at 10:34 pm

I need this ins my life. I’ve been on a major soup/broth kick lately… and it’s not the weather (Hawaii)…. but I need this!!

• Reply Donna October 23, 2017 at 4:25 am

Suddenly over the last few days I heard so much about mushrooms. They are so incredibly versatile and are a perfect meat replacement for meat free days or dare I say…vegans! I love this recipe and will be sure to make it!

• Reply Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving October 23, 2017 at 12:14 pm

What a delicious and easy way to get more of the benefits of mushrooms in your diet

• Reply Katja October 23, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I love mushrooms. This sounds SO good. I make soup so often in the fall and winter. Can’t wait to make some of this.

• Reply Devin October 24, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I can’t wait to try this! We are an alcohol free household… what is a good substitution for the wine in this recipe? Really any recipe that calls for it? Is omitting it entirely an option? Thanks for all the inspiration!

• Reply Renee Kohley October 28, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Hi Devin! In this recipe you can just leave it out 🙂 It adds a special hint of flavor to the broth, but it will still be very good without. Omitting wine from recipes will vary from recipe to recipe, sometimes you can get away with just using broth, but it really depends on what the recipe is 🙂

• Reply Handful October 26, 2017 at 3:38 am

I would have never thought of using just mushrooms. On my to do list.