I probably have more soup recipes up my sleeve than any other type of meal. But for good reason! I make it a point to get bone broth in my family daily in the winter months and at least weekly during the rest of the year. I contribute regular bone broth to the reason we rarely get sick in our home.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1/3 cup friendly fat to cook in butter, coconut oil, tallow or lard, or leftover bacon grease
- 2 lbs grassfed ground beef
- 2 large or 4 small onions chopped
- 6 large carrots chopped
- 6 celery stalks chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 TB organic tomato paste
- 15 oz diced or stewed tomatoes 1 can
- 4 quarts beef stock chicken stock would work if that is all you have
- 1 cup organic long grain white rice if you are grain free just leave the rice out! It is just as good! You could add potatoes if you need some starch (try radishes if you are AIP!)
- 1 lb box organic fresh spinach
- 1 TB organic all purpose seasoning
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot sauté the onion, carrot, and celery in the butter with a few large pinches of sea salt to bring out their juices and sweeten for 10 or so minutes.
- While the veggies sauté, brown the beef in a skillet with 1 TB all purpose season.
- After the veggies sauté, add the garlic and tomato paste to the veggies and cook for a minute
- Add the browned beef and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add the rice and put a lid on the pot to cook the rice until tender. Keep the heat on low/simmer. Should take about 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach to wilt a few minutes.
- Season with sea salt/pepper to taste.
- This a huge batch. You can half it if you don’t want the leftovers. As much as I like to cook, I don’t like to do things over and over. I know we will go through it so I make big batches while I have the kitchen a mess already! This batch makes enough for dinner for myself, my husband, and the 2 big girls for one night and then 7 quarts leftover for the freezer stash.
- Freeze up in single portions if you want. This soup packs up great in a thermos for school or work.
- If you don’t have yourself a large stock pot – oh! You must treat yourself to one this year! I use it weekly – it makes making large batches of soup for the freezer so much faster and easier.
- Read THIS on why I choose white rice versus brown.
- Need another quick, easy, BIG batch up soup for the kids lunchboxes and for work? Try THIS!