I make a 2 pound batch of breakfast sausage and freeze into patties every few weeks. They pull out of the freezer so easy to fry up with the rest of your breakfast!
But this blend can be used for so much more than just breakfast! We went through a period of time where we had a very tight meat budget. A couple times a week we would eat meatless for the day to save, and I started using this seasoning blend to give my soups and stir fries a bit more of a “meaty” flavor. My husband especially is quite the meat eater, so to make a bean soup taste like there is some sausage in there, or give a veggie stir fry a bit more zing, this blend is so good!
I hope your family loves it as much as mine! Make it as is at first and then tailor the blend to your family’s taste!
(Product links in this section are from affiliate partners. There is no extra cost to you, and it helps maintain the site and provide free content to you! Know that I would never recommend a product that I wouldn’t use or feed my family!)
SAUSAGE SEASON BLEND:
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ – 1 tsp pepper
TO MAKE SAUSAGE PATTIES:
- 2 lbs ground pastured pork
- 1 recipe of the above sausage season blend
- 2 TB white rice flour
or if you are grain free tapioca flour
- Combine all ingredients well in a medium mixing bowl using your hands, and form into patties.
- At this point you may either cook them off in some butter or coconut oil, OR you can lay them out flat on parchment paper lined baking sheets to freeze. Once frozen you can pull them off into freezer bags to store flat in the freezer.
- To use the frozen patties just pull out the night before to thaw and then cook in butter or coconut oil. I have put them straight into the pan from the frozen state and this works – just go lower with the heat to unthaw them gently and ensure they don’t brown too much on the outside before the inside is cooked all the way.
TO USE IN SOUPS AND STIR FRYS:
- Mix up the sausage season blend in an empty spice container, and keep in your spice drawer.
- Use 1-2 tsp for a pot of soup or pan of stir fry to your taste.
TO USE IN DIPS AND WRAPS:
- Mix up the sausage season blend and store in an empty container that has a shaker top so you can sprinkle the blend to taste into a dip or on your wrap.
Let me know how you end up using it!