The fridge is usually slim pickin’s by the end of the week, and it takes a little creativity to match everything up together.
Italian Chicken Meatball Soup
This soup can be made up from leftovers. Just grab some chicken and cabbage and you're in business.
Servings: 4 servings
CHICKEN MEATBALLS ::
- 1/3 cup friendly fat to cook in butter, coconut oil, lard, etc
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- ½ head cabbage sliced thin
- 5 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 heaping TB organic tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken stock recipe to make your own bone broth in the Tips section!
- Put all the ingredients for the chicken meatballs in your food processor or blender and blend to combine. It should start be thick enough to easily make the meatballs, but if it feels dry add a splash or 2 more of the olive oil. Taste the mixture for salt/pepper and if you want more seasoning.
- Bake the chicken meatballs on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, start your soup. In a large soup pot sauté your onion, carrot, and cabbage in the friendly fat with a few big pinches of sea salt for about 15 minutes on medium to medium high heat. The salt will bring out their juices and sweeten the veggies.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the chicken stock and cooked chicken meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- This batch makes enough for us to have dinner for 1 night and some leftovers for lunch the next day. You could certainly double up if you have the chicken around!
- Chop everything up the night before! You could absoultely make this on a week night quick if you have all the veg (and even the meatballs made up!) the night before and just stored in the fridge. Just dump it all in the pot (and the meatballs in the oven!).
- It is so worth making your own bone broth! The mineral and gelatin nourishment alone make it worth it – but the flavor it adds is amazing and something you will never get out of a box or can!
Let me know how it turns out when you try it!