A cross between a lemon bar and shortbread, these lemon breakfast cookies have an amazing sweet lemon flavor to brighten your day! Stash them away in the freezer for busy mornings too!
I’m talking the perfect balance between fun and busy beach days, to lazy, sit in the sun days at home.
This summer I decided I was going to take a couple months “off” from getting up way before my kids so that I could just take a bit of a break from early mornings. I know they will be back come the start of the school year, so I gave myself a little permission to get a little extra sleep for the summer!
It has been so nice. For the most part we have been taking our mornings slow, and I have been relying on my staple breakfast cookies from my freezer stash on mornings that I have hungry kids before I’m able to turn the stove top on for eggs!
I thought we needed a flavor change and this lemon breakfast cookie was born! These are now my husband’s top request to grab quick before he heads to work – and the girls liked the new flavor of breakfast cookie. (They definitely also have my approval to go with a hot cup of buttered coffee as well 😉 )
A cross between a lemon bar and a shortbread cookie, these lemon breakfast cookies have a sweet lemon flavor and a really soft texture.
The batter is super quick enough to prep right in the morning while the oven preheats, or you can make up a double batch or so for the freezer so they are even more convenient. I am planning on having somewhat of a breakfast rotation schedule for the start of the school year to make mornings a no brainer and these will definitely be on the list!
If you have lighter breakfast eaters, the mixture of protein, fat, and carbohydrate/fiber in the cookies will most likely be enough for a “meal” for them – there is a good balance. I have pretty big breakfast eaters, so I make our cookies slightly smaller and add hard boiled eggs/raw milk or a smoothie. Either way breakfast can be done really quick.
Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
Lemon Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey you can go with more if your kids are used to sweeter stuff - start with this and you can always add more though
- 2 pastured eggs If you are egg free I think flax eggs or gelatin eggs will work for the bind - they just might not puff up as much which doesn't matter!
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour I think almond flouror more tapioca flour would work here if you are grain free
- Zest & Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Blend the butter and honey with and beaters until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat until frothy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend through until combined.
- Roll balls of the dough and flatten to the size cookie you want on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet - they won't spread out so make them how you want them. Depending on how big you want your cookies you can get about 7 cookies out of this batch.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
For more real food breakfast ideas you can check out my Breakfast Ideas board on Pintrest!
More real food recipes you might like:
Molasses Protein Bars