This comforting soup will fill your bowl with warm spices, and delicious Italian flavor!
The cold has set in for good where we live…
…and while bone broth based soup a nourishing staple in our home most days all year long, in the winter it is most definitely on the menu at least once a day.
My 4 year old and I created this delicious Italian sausage stew last week for our new Instant Pot. My 4 year old is a sausage fanatic – she would eat it every day if she could so she was extra excited about dinner that night.
The warm spices brighten up the bowl and this flavor will just blow you away. And since we are talking about the Instant Pot with this recipe, this is also fast enough prep for a busy weeknight dinner!
I have to admit…I was a bit of a skeptic to get into pressure cooking.
To be honest I really love cooking stove-top. It is relaxing to me and something I truly enjoy. I rarely use my slow cooker for soups especially because there is just something about getting that veg into some butter down in a pot to soften and sweeten that gives soups and stews the most amazing flavor.
The sauté feature on the Instant Pot had me sold. I could make my favorite soups and stews the way I love, building layers of flavor at a time, AND pressure cook it for quick results on busy days! I’m in! This school year in particular has been difficult on me with dinner prep as my oldest has more homework to help with this year, and I still have a 2 year old (aaand all the mommas of toddlers don’t need any extra explanation as to why my evenings are crazy!).
And the Instant Pot is more than just a pressure cooker and saute pan! It can replace your old slow cooker and rice cooker too! I love how fast and perfect my rice comes out. The steaming feature is so neat too – hard boiled eggs in minutes!
Instant Pot has also changed my bone broth routine. I have been making bone broth for years now, and I can’t tell you how cool it is to make bone broth in just a couple hours instead of 24! I haven’t given bone broth making a thought in literally years because it just became a part of my routine, but Instant Pot sure has spoiled me with much quicker cook times not to mention the energy efficiency!
So back to the soup! Let me know how it turns out for you! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Stew
- 2 TB butter to cook in
- 1/2 lb pastured ground pork grassfed ground beef would work too
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 - 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts bone broth
- 2-3 large handfuls kale chopped
- 8 oz gluten free noodles I like Tinkyada brand. If you are grain free use potatoes and decrease the liquid by a couple of cups
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parm or other raw cheese to garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to "saute". Once the bottom is warm put butter in to melt and then add the pork and all of the seasonings. Stir to combine and brown the meat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, combine and cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are soft and sweet.
- Add the white wine to deglaze the pan scraping up any bits at the bottom.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, kale and noodles and stir to combine. Put the Instant Pot lid on, make sure the valve is sealed and pressure cook for 3 minutes. Release the valve, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with freshly grated parmesan.
OK! So let’s giveaway an Instant Pot!
One RGN reader will win an Instant Pot IP-DUO-60! Enter here via Rafflecopter:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
NOTE: The offer is exclusively North America, the continental US and Canada (no Hawaii or Alaska due to shipping: Instant Pot cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Internationally.