Keep *Taco Tuesday* quick and delicious with this light & flavorful chicken tortilla soup loaded with bone broth in just 15 minutes of time!
There’s a reason Taco Tuesday is on Tuesdays…
Tuesdays… Weekday dinners need to be efficient, right? There’s homework to be done, sports practices to attend, lunches to be packed for the next day, etc , etc.
Taco nights are so fast, and they make for a great weeknight meal. This chicken tortilla soup is just as fast as doing a taco bar, and changes up the routine for a little something different. It is also loaded with bone broth to pack a nourishing punch for your family.
This tortilla soup has a mild to medium heat to it that I find very kid friendly in my house. One out of my 3 girls is more sensitive to heat and she likes this soup, often having 2 bowls. You can pull the heat down to your preference, or you can kick it up a notch and add a small can of green chilis (which I happen to love in here!), or a little extra taco season.
So how do we make it a complete Taco Tuesday meal?
While that soup is simmering, slice up a little guacamole into a bowl for community dipping! I like to do a quick cook on some rice or millet tortillas in a pan to make crispy chips too.
Again, I have found that for the kids that are more sensitive to heat, keeping the guac on the mild side is helpful. Since raw garlic has a heat kick to it, powdered garlic works well. You can always add a pinch of chipotle or raw garlic to your serving if you like the heat. When I make this milder guacamole it gets consumed really (really!) fast, as in by the spoonful!
15 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP ::
- 3 TB friendly fat to cook in such as butter coconut oil, tallow, lard, or avocado oil. I like to use a couple TB of butter and a TB of avocado oil)
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 TB organic tomato paste I usually have Costco's organic tomato paste around.
- 1 quart bone broth
- 1 cup cubed or shredded cooked chicken leftovers
- 1/2 cup organic frozen corn Optional if you are grain free. I get organic non-GMO frozen corn at Costco.
- 2 TB organic chunky salsa I usually have Costco's organic salsa around
- 1 tsp taco season I keep a small 8oz Ball jar of my DIY taco season doubled up in my cupboard so it is easy and quick to scoop from
- 1 heaping handful of fresh spinach
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with green onions and if you tolerate dairy you can do whole sour cream or freshly grated raw cheese
SIMPLE KID FRIENDLY GUACAMOLE ::
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 avocados pitted and scored into cubes
- 1 clove of garlic minced OR 2 tsp garlic powder if you don't want the raw garlic heat
- Sea salt to taste
- Melt the friendly fat in a medium soup pot and add the onion and green & red peppers. Add a big pinch of sea salt to bring out their juices and sweeten them and cook them on medium heat for about 5 or so minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste, stir, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the bone broth, chicken, corn if using it, salsa, and seasoning and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes and then add in the spinach to wilt. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with green onions if you wish and if you tolerate dairy you can use whole sour cream or freshly grated raw cheese.
- To make the guacamole, just put all the guac ingredients in a bowl and combine. Serve the soup guacamole and tortillas pan-cooked in butter or avocado oil to crisp and then cut into triangles. I like to sea salt the tops of the chips too.
For more real food dinner ideas check out my Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest!
More real food recipes you might like:
Simple & Quick Enchilada Sauce