Soft and buttery inside, crisp cheesy outside, these savory spinach and cheese biscuits make the perfect breakfast topped with a fried egg, or just dripping with butter!
Links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.
Oh I’m so thankful for these yummy little biscuits!
We are just coming off of Spring Break week, and while I usually save this staple breakfast recipe for the weekends to enjoy on a slow Saturday morning, I ended up serving this twice during spring break week breakfast because they are so easy to prep, and they make such a special breakfast.
It was so nice to take a week off the computer (though I missed talking to all of you!), social media, and the routine and spend some time with my girls. We spent the week mostly doing a lot of coloring (darn freezing Michigan weather!), and got to hit the library as well as the children’s museum. Overall we had a great week to rest and take a little break from school for the girls, and a breather from the blog for myself!
I absolutely adore these soft, fluffy biscuits dipped in a yolky egg. I like to make a few of them small for the little hands in my house, and a few of them larger so my husband and I can make a little breakfast sandwich. Sausage patties or a slice of bacon stack on top of a fried egg so perfectly!
Most of the time I just leave the baby spinach as is to give a quick pan cook and into the batter, but if you have little ones that might shy away from anything green, I might recommend giving the spinach a good chop before cooking. It will make the spinach look smaller and it will be more dispersed and hard to see.
Honestly, either way you don’t really taste the spinach – it just gives an extra veggie punch to breakfast. The biscuits are buttery and cheesy in flavor and the mild garlic and onion just make it taste so special!
I hope you all are enjoying your start to spring! I am so happy to be back – feeling refreshed and ready to inspire my sweet readers!
Gluten Free Savory Spinach and Cheese Breakfast Biscuits
- 2 TB butter or other friendly fat to cook in
- 1/2 shallot diced (1/4 - 1/2 small onion would be fine too)
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 1 heaping handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup whole milk or coconut milk I think whole sour cream or buttermilk would work here too
- 1 1/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, add the shallot, garlic, and spinach with a pinch of sea salt and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts and the garlic and shallot are fragrant. Set this aside to add to the batter later.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the 1/3 cup butter and honey until smooth.
- Add the egg and beat until fluffy.
- Add the flours, milk, baking powder, and baking soda and blend until well combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold in the cooked spinach mixture and grated cheese.
- Pinch off 6 large or 9-10 small biscuits, rolling each biscuit into a ball with your hands, and then flatting into a disk onto a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. The batter is tacky/wet but you can form little balls and flatten. You can alternatively just do an uneven "drop" biscuit using the spoon and dropping them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits at 400 degrees for 12-13 minutes. Cool 5 or so minutes before handling.
For more real food breakfast ideas you can follow my Breakfast Ideas board on Pintrest!
More real food ideas you might like:
Sausage & Spinach Egg Muffins