Celebrate the happiest of birthdays with gluten free, allergen friendly chocolate chip cake!
Links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.
We celebrated a brand new *5* year old in the house last week!
Our spunky little Claire Joy was born 5 years ago and I don’t think my house has stopped moving since 🙂 This kid is constantly on the go, thinking all the time, has the most inquisitive questions, and really keeps me on my toes. My extremely laid back husband somehow thinks I may be getting a dose of my own medicine most days 🙂
We were so excited to celebrate Claire with family, and this year she asked for chocolate chip cake!
Over the last handful of years having multiple birthdays in the house, I have really gotten used to gluten free cake making and this cake is nice and moist, really flavorful, and very easy to make…if you have been following me for very long you know that my least favorite kitchen tasks revolve around baking so I tend to lean toward the no fuss route when it comes to cakes.
This was a really fun cake to make and it really made Claire smile – we started with a cup of chocolate chips for the batter and she ended up wanting to dump the whole bag in! I rolled with it and it really was yummy! We served the cake with homemade maple vanilla ice cream with homemade chocolate sauce and it was just perfect!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Birthday Cake
VANILLA CAKE ::
- ¾ cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1½ cups organic pure cane sugar
- 1 cup softened butter or softened coconut oil
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar I know this is a strange ingredient - but it helps with the rise - don't leave it out! I promise it won't make it taste bad!
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract or more vanilla extract
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ⅔ cup potato starch
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 TB aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 - 10 oz bag Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Butter two 8-inch cake pan rounds, and fit parchment paper to the bottom of each pan sticking to the butter.
- Blend the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, sugar, butter, vinegar, vanilla extract, and almond extract) in a large mixing bowl for a couple minutes until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (the dry ingredients) EXCEPT the chocolate chips right into the bowl, and blend to combine until creamy. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter with a spoon.
- Divide the batter between the 2 cake pans evenly and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let the cakes cool about 20 minutes before taking them out to cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are cooled completely, you can frost them. Just blend the vanilla bean frosting ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl until well combined and frost your cake how you want, and then decorate with chocolate chips.
For more real food treat ideas, you can follow my Treat Ideas board on Pinterest!
More real food ideas you might like: