Mexican chicken salad is abundant with bright, bold flavor, and just 5 minutes of prep time!
Product links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
Sometimes it is simplicity that everyone craves.
A few weeks ago I casually posted a “last minute” dinner I made to my Instagram and Facebook page. It was a simple Mexican chicken salad with some crackers and guacamole. It was a super hot, muggy day, and I had zero cooking desire.
I posted the picture, and I remember being surprised at how much reaction this simple dinner received.
Because honestly and truly, we all crave simplicity I think. I had never thought to post a recipe like this chicken salad that I make so often because it is embarrassingly simple in ingredients! What I learned that day is that you all are just like me. You made me feel human! We all have days we just. can’t. do. one. more. thing.
We all have days where we need a simple, easy prep dinner that tastes amazing.
Is that so much to ask?! It really isn’t! I think you will really enjoy putting this Mexican chicken salad into your meal rotation for lunch or dinner!
Here are some ideas for how you can serve your Mexican chicken salad!
- Scooped into avocado halves (our favorite!)
- Rolled up into a wrap or a lettuce leaf wrap
- Scooped into bell pepper halves
- Used as a dip for veggie sticks or crackers
- On a sandwich with lots of veggies
- Mixed into a green salad
- Toddlers can eat it right off the spoon – and little ones love to dip! Try some crackers or veggie sticks!
5 Minute Mexican Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped green onion Red or Spanish onions work well too
- 1/2 small/medium tomato coarsely chopped
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup mayonnaise I like to use my 5 minute, egg free mayonnaise , or this egg/dairy free Paleo Mayo, but an egg based homemade mayo works well too, or a quality avocado oil or olive oil based mayo would be fine! The one linked there is my favorite to purchase.
- 2-4 tsp taco seasoning I use my quick, DIY taco seasoning- if using store bought just watch those ingredients for hidden MSG or other preservatives/starches. Start out with the 2 tsp especially if little kids will be eating it - you can always add more if you need but you can't take it away! My DIY spice blend is on the mild side since I have little kids in the house. My husband likes to add some cayenne, chipotle, or hot sauce to his to kick it up a bit.
- Everything into your food processor and pulse to combine to a texture you like. You can puree it all the way through for those that might have texture issues with chunks or who might not like seeing "pieces" in their food.
- Serve Mexican chicken salad on avocado halves, bell pepper halves, as a dip for veggie sticks or crackers, in a wrap or as a sandwich, or mixed into a green salad! Store in the fridge up to 5 days in an airtight container.
More *quick* real food dinners you might like:
- 15 Minute Ginger Chicken Stir Fry
- 7 Minute BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- 15 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup & Kid Friendly Guacamole
- 15 Minute Asian Lo Mein Noodles
- Tuna Salad for All Ages