Kid Friendly Roasted Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Warm up this fall with this savory and sweet velvety roasted acorn squash and sweet potato soup!
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 medium acorn squashes halved and seeds scooped out
- 4 small sweet potatoes halved lengthwise
- 6 tbsp of olive oil or butter divided
- 1 medium/large onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Pinch of cayenne or to taste if you like heat
- 1 1/2 - 2 quarts bone broth depending on how thick/thin you prefer your soup
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish with coconut milk/yogurt or sour cream and a drizzle of olive oil
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spread olive oil over the flesh of your acorn squash halves and sweet potato halves, and then sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Place the squash and sweet potatoes flesh side down on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
You can start the rest of the soup when take the squash and sweet potatoes out of the oven so they are cooling while you work – you’ll want the squash cooled so you can handle it to scoop the flesh out.
In a large soup pot, add 2-3 tbsp of butter and the onion with a pinch of sea salt. Cook the onion over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the thyme, broth, and roasted squash and sweet potatoes, and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat, and blend the soup with an immersion blender, or pour it into a regular blender to puree. Garnish each bowl with a splash of coconut milk or dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of olive oil.