How To Make Soaked Baked Oatmeal
Learn how to make traditionally soaked baked oatmeal using a framework of nutritious ingredients that you can flavor any way you choose!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 5 cups oats Not quick cooking oats. If you are gluten free, be sure your oats say they are gluten free like THESE
- 2 ½ cups full fat coconut milk or raw milk
- ½ cup unsweetened full fat coconut yogurt or dairy yogurt. (Our grocer carries the large 32oz tubs of So Delicious plain coconut yogurt which is what I use.)
- 2 cups of nuts or seeds of choice chopped (I buzz them up in my food processor quick. I like to use soaked/dehydrated nuts for best digestion. *OR* you can skip the nuts/seeds and add in 1 more cup of oats to the soaking process. *OR* you can skip the nuts/seeds and add in 1-2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut. A mix of nuts/seeds and shredded coconut works too.)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup sweetener of choice Raw honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1-4 tsp cinnamon depending on the fruit you are using – I like more with apples, bananas, pears, or raisins. And less if using berries and peaches
- 3 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of fresh fruit OR 1 cup dried fruit (see above notes for ideas!)
Soak the oats 8-24 hours before baking. The day before you want to make this for breakfast, put the oats, coconut milk, and yogurt in a medium mixing bowl, stir to combine, and cover with a towel to soak overnight. You can also butter your 9x13 baking dish the night before so it’s ready.
In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add everything EXCEPT the fruit to the soaked oats, and mix in thoroughly.
Fold the fruit into the batter, and pour the batter into the buttered the buttered baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. You can use the toothpick method to make sure the middle is set – it should come out clean if the baked oatmeal is done cooking.