Golden Beet Slaw
Fresh and mildly sweet golden beets tossed in a delicious creamy dressing make for a cool, crisp kid pleasing side!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 small/medium golden beets peeled and spirilized (you could use a grater to shred if you don't have a spirilizer)
- 1/2 small head of cabbage sliced thin
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1/2 lb 10 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole sour cream yogurt, or coconut milk yogurt (I think coconut cream would work too)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 TB raw honey
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper more if you like a little more heat - this leaves it pretty kid friendly mild
Put all of the veggies in a large mixing bowl. You may want to cut the spirilized beets a little so they aren't so long - it makes them easier for kids to handle that way.
Put the rest of the ingredients into a pint mason jar and use an immersion blender to make the dressing. The immersion blender emulsifies the oil so if you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a food processor and add the oil into the other ingredients slowly using the oil drip top on your food processor to emulsify. You could also use a whisk and bowl and drizzle the oil in slowly so it emulsifies. The dressing should be nice and creamy.
Add the dressing to the veggies and combine. You can eat the slaw right away or store it in the fridge up to 5 days. The salt in the dressing will pull some water out of the veggies and it will get a little liquidy at the bottom - simply toss the slaw to mix it all in - it is even more delicious after marrying all those flavors over a day or 2!