Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
Ice cream is fun to make homemade, but you don't always get the same "fun" flavors as the store. Caramel swirl is one fun flavor my kids love!
Servings: 6 servings
CARAMEL SWIRL ::
- 1 cup organic pure cane sugar this also works with honey - I make this probably once a year so I just use sugar for this one and call it good
- 6 TB softened butter
- 1/2 cup whole cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt If you want a more "salted caramel" flavor double this - it is really good!
ICE CREAM ::
- 3 cups whole cream Preferably raw. Avoid ultra-pasteurized
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup raw honey works well too
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 TB vodka This is optional but keeps the ice cream from freezing rock hard in the freezer. If you choose to leave it out, just be sure to set your ice cream on the counter to soften a bit before scooping.
MAKE THE CARAMEL AND COOL ::
Warm the sugar in a small sauce pan until it melts - takes about 4-5 minutes. Stir continuously so it doesn't burn and it will start melting. When the sugar completely melts stir in the butter. Then drizzle in the cream a little at a time while stirring. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes while you stir. Turn the heat off, and transfer to a container into the fridge to cool while you make the ice cream.
MAKE THE ICE CREAM ::
Blend the ice cream ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and let it rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Give the ice cream a stir, and process in your ice cream maker per the manufacturer's instructions. My ice cream maker takes about 30 minutes.
SWIRL THE CARAMEL INTO THE ICE CREAM ::
Once the ice cream is done churning, place half of the ice cream into a container, then add 1/4 t o 1/2 of the caramel in and swirl it through with a chopstick or the hard end of a paintbrush. Put the other half of the ice cream in the container along with more caramel and swirl that in. Depending on how much caramel you like in your ice cream you can use the whole caramel batch for swirling, or save some to drizzle on top (or for your coffee in the morning!)