Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream :: Dairy Free Option
Blueberries make a perfect addition to homemade vanilla ice cream.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
BLUEBERRY SWIRL ::
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- 2 TB water
- 2 TB tapioca flour
- ¼ cup raw honey or pure cane sugar if your blueberries are on the sour side you may want to add more – ours were from our summer picking picked at the peak of the season so they were very sweet!
ICE CREAM ::
- 2 cups organic whole cream Preferably raw. Or preferably not ultra pasteurized. If you are dairy free you can use whole coconut milk.
- 1 cup organic whole milk Preferably raw. Or preferably not ultra pasteurized. If you are dairy free you can use whole coconut milk.
- 1/3 cup organic pure cane sugar Raw honey or pure maple syrup works too
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 3 TB tapioca flour If you tolerate eggs, you could use a few egg yolks instead for creaminess!
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 TB organic vodka This is optional and the ice cream will be fine without it – but it does keep the ice cream from getting rock hard in the freezer. If you choose to leave it out you can just leave the ice cream on the counter for a bit before scooping.
Make the swirl. Put the blueberries, water, and tapioca in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Once everything is warmed through and thickened, turn the heat off and add the raw honey. If you are using pure cane sugar you can put it in right along with the berries so it can cook/dissolve. Set the berry mixture aside.
Make the ice cream. Put all the ice cream ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and blend with hand beaters to combine. Put the ice cream mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes, stir through, and then process in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturer’s instructions. Mine goes for 30 minutes. I have a very simple ice cream maker and it works great - no need for fancy equipment if you can't do it!
Transfer the processed ice cream to a container with a lid, and fold in the blueberry mixture.
Freeze the ice cream