Traditional Winter Wassail
Celebrate the winter season with this warming drink.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 5 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 7-8 cups organic apple cider
- 2 cups organic cranberry juice
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 allspice berries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 organic orange sliced into rounds (if organic is unavailable, just use a conventional one BUT you will want to peel it first.)
- *Optional: 1 cup dark ale or wine of your choosing OR ½ cup rum or brandy in the pot. If you don’t want the whole pot spiked, you can do splashes of the alcohol in each mug. Since I serve this to my girls too I just add wine to the mug that my husband and I drink from.
- *Optional: organic honey to sweeten if you desire – I usually don’t but it is good!
Tie up the cloves and allspice in a cheesecloth or small piece of tea towel using kitchen twine.
Put everything into a large soup or stock pot and bring to a low simmer.
Lower the heat and very low simmer the mixture for 2 hours before serving. Keep it on low or use a crockpot on low if serving over hours.