How To Make A Simple Beef Roast
Pot roast is a classic Sunday dinner, and this is a simple way to make it.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 3 lb grassfed chuck roast
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots coarsely chopped
- Potatoes enough to feed your family I love the little red or yellow potatoes halved, but russets definitely work quartered.
- 3-4 cups red wine beef bone broth, or water (Or combo of any of those)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- Sea salt and pepper to taste Generous on the salt!
Get the onion, carrot, and potato down into your roaster pan or slow cooker.
Rinse and pat dry your roast and place it in the center of your roasting pan or slow cooker.
Pour the wine over the roast, sprinkle your seasonings and get the minced garlic over the top of the roast and some into the liquid. Sprinkle some of the seasoning over your veggies in the pan too.
Put the cover on your roasting pan or slow cooker. Cook in the oven in the roaster pan at 275 degrees for 3-4 hours, OR in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours.
If you want to make a “gravy” or “sauce” for your roast, strain off the liquid in the bottom of the pan after the beef cooks. Simmer the liquid in a small sauce pan and add 1-2 TB rice flour shaken up into a few TB of water to help thicken the gravy.