Italian Chicken Meatball Soup
This soup can be made up from leftovers. Just grab some chicken and cabbage and you're in business.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 servings
CHICKEN MEATBALLS ::
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken from your crockpotted chicken
- 1 pastured egg if you are egg free use a couple tsp gelatin and water, or a flax egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 TB white rice flour if you are grain free use tapioca flour or almond flour
- 2 TB good olive oil
- 1/3 cup friendly fat to cook in butter, coconut oil, lard, etc
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- ½ head cabbage sliced thin
- 5 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 heaping TB organic tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken stock recipe to make your own bone broth in the Tips section!
Put all the ingredients for the chicken meatballs in your food processor or blender and blend to combine. It should start be thick enough to easily make the meatballs, but if it feels dry add a splash or 2 more of the olive oil. Taste the mixture for salt/pepper and if you want more seasoning.
Bake the chicken meatballs on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, start your soup. In a large soup pot sauté your onion, carrot, and cabbage in the friendly fat with a few big pinches of sea salt for about 15 minutes on medium to medium high heat. The salt will bring out their juices and sweeten the veggies.
Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for a minute.
Add the chicken stock and cooked chicken meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.