Nourishing Broccoli Soup
I love using soup as a way to get vegetables and bone broth into my kids. This broccoli soup freezes beautifully.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 16 servings
- 1/3 cup friendly fat to cook in butter, coconut oil, lard
- 4 lbs organic broccoli either 4lb frozen bag or about 4 bunches broccoli coarsely chopped and including the stalks
- 4 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 4 small onions sliced
- 7 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup brown rice flour If you are grain free you may omit – it still tastes great it just won’t be quite as thick. You could leave out a cup of liquid if you wish for a thicker soup. OR you could add a few potatoes to the veggies as they cook to help with thickening it up. Don’t try coconut or almond flours – it just doesn’t work!
- 4 quarts chicken stock preferably homemade for more nourishment – see Tips section for how to make your own bone broth in the slow cooker!
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
In a large stockpot, sauté the onion, carrots, and broccoli in the friendly fat with a few pinches of salt for about 10-15 minutes, until the onions are clear and the broccoli is bright green.
Add the garlic and brown rice flour and cook a minute or 2.
Add the stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer until the broccoli and carrots are soft and cooked through, about 15ish minutes.
Turn the heat off, and puree the soup completely with an immersion blender. Could blend in a regular blender if you wish.
Add sea salt/pepper to taste. Add a few splashes of cream or coconut milk if you want, or top with sour cream or raw cheese!