Garden Party Stir Fry
Take the kids for a visit to the farmer’s market if it is the season for it and let them pick out what is in season – the sky is the limit here! I included what is in season by me right now but you can definitely switch this up. I left some hints on how I shop for these veggies in the middle of winter too.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup butter to cook in
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 small/medium head of cabbage sliced thin (This was from our local grocer)
- 3 medium carrots chopped (We get fresh organic carrots in bulk at Costco)
- 1 cup cut green beans These were from our garden, but in the off season we use Costco's frozen organic
- 2 cups broccoli chopped (We get organic frozen broccoli at Costco)
- 4 small red potatoes cubed (Our grocer carries organic potatoes)
- 1 cup organic corn This was from a non-GMO farmer at our market but in the off season we use Costco's organic frozen corn
- 1 large tomato chopped (When we don't use our garden tomatoes, our grocer carries organic tomatoes)
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 TB fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme I have potted herbs but dried works just fine!
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives to garish
Melt the butter over medium heat and put the onion, cabbage, carrots, green beans, broccoli, potatoes, and corn into the melted butter with a big pinch of sea salt and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until everything cooks down and softens. (The cabbage seems like a lot at first but I promise it cooks down a lot!)
Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until they soften and let their juices out to make a sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped chives if you want - or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!