Parmesan Baked Veggie Quinoa
Just about anything will taste great with parm and a little seasoning done right! Even if you have a household hesitant about quinoa, this is a great one to give a try. My very meat loving husband even likes it! It is very Italian in flavor – almost lasagna like!
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 ½ - 3 cups cooked quinoa About 1 ½ cups uncooked. The linked bag is the one I pick up at Costco – this is a good price too! I soak my quinoa before cooking according to Nourishing Traditions recommendations.
- 2 TB friendly fat to cook in butter, coconut oil, tallow, lard
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium zucchini chopped (green pepper works well too if that is what you have)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes you can leave it out if you don’t want the kick!
- 2 TB Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ lb fresh spinach a couple large handfuls
- 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes drained (I get mine at Costco which is the same brand as what I linked here!)
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- Shredded Parmesan to sprinkle on top
Saute onion and zucchini in the friendly fat for about 7 minutes with a pinch of salt to bring out the juices and sweeten.
Add the garlic and seasonings and cook a couple more minutes, then dump into a medium mixing bowl.
Add the cooked quinoa, fresh spinach, tomato, eggs, and cheese to the mixing bowl with the sauteed veggies and combine everything together.
Pour the quinoa mixture into a buttered 9x13 baking dish and spread it out.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the top, and then bake another 20 or so minutes, until the edges are nice and brown and the cheese on the top is melted and golden.