Roasted Pumpkin Soup
I have been making pumpkin soup for a number of years now, and actually feel like last year I perfected it. This is such a great recipe to work on with the kids! Who doesn’t love to scoop out pumpkin seeds?!
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pie pumpkins
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 3-4 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ - 2 quarts chicken bone broth Depending on how thick you want the soup – you can thin it out even further than the 2 quarts if you wish too stretch it.
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- 1/3 cup whole sour cream If you are dairy free use coconut yogurt – this really takes the soup to a different level so try the yogurt if you are dairy free – it really is worth it!
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
Halve the pumpkins, scoop the seeds out, and roast face down on a large jelly roll pan with a quarter inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Roast at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.
While the pumpkins are cooling enough so you can scoop it out, sauté your onion and carrot in 1/3 cup of butter. Put a big pinch of sea salt in there to bring out their juices and sweeten. Cook on medium/high for about 10-15 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
Add the scooped out pumpkin, bone broth, and all spice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
Turn the heat OFF and add the sour cream then puree the soup with an immersion blender or blender. Sea salt and pepper to taste.