And since my husband knew me *so* well to pick up that cream he found even though it wasn’t on his list, because he just knew I would be ecstatic over it…I made his favorite ice cream.
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream :: Dairy Free Option
So it isn’t quite ice cream season around here yet, but when your husband scores a very rare quart of quality farm cream unexpectedly one weekend…you dig into the back of your tallest cupboard for your ice cream maker that you haven’t used since August!
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 cups quality cream Preferably raw or low pasteurized. Not ultrapasturized if possible. You can do a combo raw milk and cream to equal 3 cups. If you are dairy free you can use whole coconut milk.
- 3 TB tapioca flour If you tolerate eggs you could use a few pastured egg yolks instead of this
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup Or coconut sugar or organic pure cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 TB organic vodka This is optional but helps the ice cream not freeze to rock hard
- ½ - ¾ cup quality chocolate chips or chunked up dark chocolate
- Using hand beaters, blend everything EXCEPT the chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl and then set in your fridge to chill for an hour.
- After the ice cream chills, give it a quick blend through again and then put in your ice cream maker to process according to your manufacturer’s instructions. Add the chocolate chips during the last 5 minutes of processing to mix in. I have a very simple ice cream maker - there are some fancier/bigger ones on the market that I drool over, but honestly this one works so good - I have no complaints!
- Transfer to a container and into the freezer. If you choose not to use the vodka you will have to bring the ice cream out to room temp for a little bit so it is scoopable.