Drinks Holiday Recipes Occasional Treats

Winter Wassail

December 14, 2014

Wassail :: A warm celebration of winter
The Winter Solstice is next weekend, and I can hardly wait!

The darkest day of the year?!

Yep. I love it. For years this beach-bum dreaded the shortest day of the year…until I realized that really all it means is that it can’t get any darker! In other words…longer days, signs of spring, and warmer weather are on their way!

Wassail :: A warm celebration of winter
We still have a good 3 months of snowy winter left where I live. But every fall when our huge magnolia tree in the front sheds its leaves everywhere, it leaves behind its reminder that spring will come again. When we first moved here I remember wondering what those large, fuzzy buds were on this beautiful bare tree. Come May those buds are one of the first things to bloom in our yard like a big, warm hug for making it through our harsh winter. During blizzards of snow and frigid temps I often look to those buds to cheer me up!

Wassail :: A warm celebration of winter
So for the last handful of years, we celebrate the darkest day of the year instead of dreading it! Because we do need winter. A time to rest, rejuvenate…and pull out big warm blankets, fuzzy wool socks, and enjoy the silence of the snow.

Wassail :: A warm celebration of winter
Wassail is a simple mulled cider and wine, and now that we have a house full of little ones that like to celebrate the seasons with us, I keep the drink spiking to just the mugs for my husband and I. It is such a simple way to make the house smell amazing and give your family or guests coming in and out a warming drink to celebrate the winter season.

Wassail :: A warm celebration of winter
So cozy up to the fire, and say cheers to the darkest day of the year!
Traditional Winter Wassail

• 7 – 8 cups organic apple cider
  • 2 cups organic cranberry juice
  • 10 whole cloves
  • 10 allspice berries
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 organic orange, sliced into rounds (if organic is unavailable, just use a conventional one BUT you will want to peel it first.)
  • *Optional: 1 cup dark ale or wine of your choosing, OR ½ cup rum or brandy in the pot. If you don’t want the whole pot spiked, you can do splashes of the alcohol in each mug. Since I serve this to my girls too I just add wine to the mug that my husband and I drink from.
  • *Optional: organic honey to sweeten if you desire – I usually don’t, but it is good!
  1. Tie up the cloves and allspice in a cheesecloth or small piece of tea towel using kitchen twine.
  2. Put everything into a large soup or stock pot and bring to a low simmer.
  3. Lower the heat and very low simmer the mixture for 2 hours before serving. Keep it on low or use a crockpot on low if serving over hours.

Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site! Please know I would never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Tips:

• You could use a slow cooker instead of stovetop to make this too. I would go on low for a good 4 hours or so, and then you can just keep it on low or warm for serving.
  • This is a great drink to double up and keep on the stovetop while guests arrive for holiday gatherings. Not only does it make the house smell amazing, but it is a pretty allergen friendly, crowd pleasing drink to serve.
  • These are the glass mugs I love to serve our wassail in! I also found these pretty smaller glass mugs that would be nice to have a couple sets of to use for serving at a family gathering or party.
  • For tying up the spices I just use an old kitchen tea towel that I have cut up for this sort of thing – they wash out nice and I can re-use them. Cheesecloth works really nice too!

This post was shared at Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday & Allergy Free Wednesday!

• Reply Kristin December 14, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I just bought fresh apple cider and didn’t know how I would use it (not a big fan of plain apple cider). This looks amazing and something my whole family will love! Thank you for the recipe…can’t wait to make it later this week.

• Reply Sandrine Love December 15, 2014 at 2:27 pm

The color of the wassail pictured here is one of my favorites! I have never had wassail before, even though I wrote a blog post about it! In all honestly, while the recipe looks absolutely delicious, I have found that my sweet tooth has diminished so significantly that sweet drinks are too sweet for me. Nonetheless, cranberry juice is not sweet, unsweetened, so that may mitigate some of the sweetness of the apple juice. I think I may be drawn to egg nog, non alcoholic! I bet you have a recipe for that too!

• Reply Melissa French, The More With Less Mom December 16, 2014 at 11:21 am

Mmm I love wassail. Thanks for posting. Hello from Fat Tuesday.

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish December 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

This is such a beautiful recipe! I love everything about it – the spices + the apple cider and cranberry juice! I can’t wait to try it next week, I bet it’s so delicious. Beautiful photos too! xo

• Reply Samantha December 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I love wassail, and I love that this recipe doesn’t include a ton of extra sugar. So many other recipes include a ton of brown sugar and things like that, which isn’t possible for me. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Carol December 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Glorious pictures! I like this recipe. So festive. I have made similar but the cranberry juice is a perfect addition to my ‘ol stand-by recipe! Thanks for sharing.
    Here’s to a flavourful HEALTHY winter. Celebrating Solstice!

• Reply Tina @ Oh Snap! Let's Eat! December 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Never had this before – but it sure looks and sounds yummy!

• Reply Jolene @ Yummy Inspirations December 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never heard of wassail before but it looks and sounds sublimely nourishing so I can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

• Reply linda spiker December 16, 2014 at 4:46 pm

What a beautiful post! Love the photos, the recipe, everything! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Megan Stevens December 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

This is so pretty and I can see it being very popular at a Christmas gathering. But I really want to TASTE it! I love the cloves and ale. How earthy and historic it sounds. Pinning for later when I can have juice again. 🙂

• Reply Sarah McLain December 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Oh, this sounds lovely, festive, and warming… I especially love anything with cranberry this time of the year 🙂

• Reply Loriel December 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I have never had this before (or ever heard of it until now) but it sounds like a drink I must make! I’m actually heading to a friend’s house for dinner on Saturday and I think this might be something great to make.

• Reply Libby December 17, 2014 at 1:35 am

It’s as though I can smell this beautiful fragrance through my computer! Can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Daja @The Provision Room December 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Love the adding rum option! This will be served at Christmas for sure!!!

• Reply Sunday Snippets December 20, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] Winter Wassail from Raising Generation Nourished. This is a really nice recipe for a traditional drink! […]

• Reply TP December 14, 2015 at 5:08 pm

How many services does this wassail recipe create?

• Reply Renee Kohley December 15, 2015 at 6:38 am

I would say about 5 mug fulls or 8 smaller mugs/tea cup sized cup fulls depending on how big your mugs are.

• Reply TP December 14, 2015 at 5:08 pm

servings*

• Reply linda spiker December 22, 2015 at 8:52 am

Gorgeous! Pinning to my holiday foods board!

• Reply Sarah December 22, 2015 at 9:15 am

Oh love Apple Cider! This mix of spices with it sounds so delicious.

• Reply Susie December 22, 2015 at 9:21 am

What a fun drink to make and serve; a nice break from plain apple cider and hot cocoa.

• Reply Dr. Karen December 22, 2015 at 10:13 am

Never heard of wassail but I love the combination of ingredients for it!

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish December 22, 2015 at 11:30 am

I love this drink + all of the yummy spices in it. I missed making it this year on the solstice, but think I’ll make some for the holidays anyway 🙂

• Reply Andrea Fabry December 22, 2015 at 12:07 pm

This is so inspiring. It’s cold in Arizona right now. My family would love this for Christmas!

• Reply Tash December 22, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Yum! I just had a boozy version of this at a Christmas party the other night. Super delicious!

• Reply Ways to Celebrate the Winter Solstice - Rhythms of Play December 23, 2016 at 1:28 am

[…] Winter Wassail (Spiked and unspiked) | Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply Warm Drinks for Cool Days | Homespun Seasonal Living October 6, 2017 at 5:39 am

[…] Wassail – Traditionally full of winter fruits that is naturally sweet with just a bit of spice […]

• Reply 33 Warming & Nourishing Fall Sippers {so you can skip the coffee shop!} October 15, 2017 at 8:04 am

[…] Traditional Winter Wassail […]

• Reply Shailee October 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Hey, any suggestion for what kind of wine goes well..Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley October 21, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Hi Shalilee! You’ll see everything across the board from fruitier and dry white wines to reds when you look up traditional wassail recipes. I personally prefer a lighter white wine because I feel like reds make it too “thick” if that even makes sense? I felt like red took over the spices and cider flavor too much, while something lighter just accented it. Does that help? Make sense? I’m not a wine expert but this is how I have experienced it!

• Reply How To Make Sprouted Candied Nuts & Seeds :: Sprouted For Better Digestion & Nourishment :: Made With Real Food Sweeteners & No Junk! - Raising Generation Nourished October 28, 2017 at 1:04 pm

[…] asking “what is that in there?” – in a really good way! Serve with warm mugs of Winter Wassail – it compliments it so […]

• Reply A Paleo Hanukkah :: 50+ delicious ways to celebrate! December 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm

[…] Winter Wassail from Raising Generation Nourished […]