Drinks Holiday Recipes Occasional Treats

Simple & Quick Eggnog

November 30, 2014

Simple & Quick Eggnog
We got cozy next to our freshly decorated Christmas tree over the weekend with our first batch of eggnog.

It is something that usually just my husband and I enjoy together. I first met my husband during a fall semester at college, and that December I remember walking into a room to him chugging down a carton of eggnog from the fridge.

For real.

I had never had eggnog at that point, but years later as I learned about real food, I decided I better figure out how to make real eggnog instead of stand by and watch him down loads of pasteurized toxic milk, fillers, gums, and preservatives.

But it’s just once a year, right?

Well yes. But not only is homemade eggnog super simple, it tastes amazing! It is really just an ice cream base with cinnamon or nutmeg without putting it into an ice cream maker!

Simple & Quick Eggnog
And with nourishing ingredients like real and raw milk and cream, and yolks from pastured chickens, this is really a holiday drink you can feel good about.

You can leave the splash of bourbon out and make some for the kiddos too! It’s like a nutmeg ice cream milkshake!

Simple & Quick Eggnog

Simple & Quick Eggnog

• 1 ½ cups organic cream (Preferably grassfed and raw)
  • ½ cup organic whole milk (Preferably grassfed and raw)
  • 3-4 pastured egg yolks (If you don’t have access to pastured eggs just leave this out)
  • 2 TB raw honey
  • 2 TB pure maple syrup
  • ⅛ tsp grated nutmeg or cinnamon
  • ⅛ tsp cloves
  • Optional splashes of organic bourbon if you wish
  1. Everything into a small mixing bowl and blend to combine. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg if you wish!

Tips:

• This batch makes enough for my husband and I each to have a good sized glass. You can certainly double/triple up for a holiday party or gathering.
  • Traditionally, eggnog is made with the whole egg, not just the yolk. Raw egg whites are a bit rough on the gut to digest, so I leave them out. Raw yolks from a trusted farmer that keep their chickens on pasture is safe. If you are uncomfortable with this you can leave them out or soft cook the yolks like a custard before you put them in.
  • Play around with the sweet to your taste – sometimes I like the richness of all maple syrup.
  • Quality cream gets really hard to find around here this time of year, and our milk supply gets shorter for skimming off cream, so if we don’t have access to the cream I just make it with all milk and add a couple more egg yolks.
  • Get your eggnog into an ice cream maker for eggnog ice cream! It is so good!
  • Are you dairy and egg free? No problem! Here is a great recipe for you to try!

This post was shared at Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, & Allergy Free Wednesday!

• Reply Cassie November 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I LOVE eggnog! Cannot wait to try making this!!

• Reply Renee Kohley November 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Awesome Cassie 🙂 I think you will like it – Christopher is a big time eggnog lover and he really adores this recipe!

• Reply Tips To Keeping Kids Healthy During The Holidays - Raising Generation Nourished December 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm

[…] some fun making Christmas cookies, or your favorite holiday traditional treats like hot cocoa and eggnog, but it doesn’t need to be a daily (or even weekly) event. Just don’t go overboard is […]

• Reply Dairy Free Egg Free Egg Nog | Homemade Dutch Apple Pie December 2, 2014 at 5:47 am

[…] Dutch Apple Pie http://homemadedutchapplepie.com/ If you are not dairy/egg free please check out Raising Generation Nourished’s amazing egg nog recipe! <br /><br /> In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may […]

• Reply Amanda L December 2, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I love that your recipe uses milk(s) and I will definitely try this very soon. I have always made my homemade eggnog with full-fat coconut milk, and it comes out very thick and creamy. And I usually add rum to mine, but love the suggestion of bourbon! This is an awesome recipe, thanks!

• Reply Alexa December 2, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Eggnog is my favorite. <3 Finally, a healthy version. Thanks!!

• Reply Anna December 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I love the sound of making my own eggnog. As I have an intolerence to dairy, what would you recommend I substitute the cream and milk for? Would almond or coconut stuff work? I hope so 🙂

• Reply Renee Kohley December 4, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Anna! Did you see the link at the bottom of the Tips section – there is a link to a dairy free version!

• Reply Anna December 5, 2014 at 6:22 am

Found it, thank you 🙂

• Reply Tina @ Oh Snap! Let's Eat! December 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Love that it’s simple and quick!

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish December 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

LOVE the background, the sparkly lights are so pretty. Your nourishing version sounds so good, thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe.

• Reply Loriel December 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Yum yum. I’ve never had eggnog but with all the eggnog recipes floating around, I think I may have to try it! especially your version!

• Reply Lia December 4, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Hi Renée,
    Have you ever tried this with a wee bit of turmeric, by chance? It has slipped my mind the last few times I’ve made this, and I’m presently “devastated” to be out of eggs and cream. Haha. How I LOVE real eggnog. Its truly nourishing. And putting this into an ice cream maker is certainly worth it 😉
    Merry Christmas!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Lia 🙂 No I have not but it sounds like a great addition to me! Have a merry Christmas too 🙂

• Reply Lia December 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm

You, too! I just discovered your site yesterday, and bookmarked most of your recipes. You’re doing a wonderful job, Renée 🙂

• Reply linda spiker December 4, 2014 at 6:58 pm

So very pretty! Love this season and the food!

• Reply Anni December 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Oooh, I love eggnog! I haven’t made eggnog in a couple of years, so I might have to give this recipe a try this year!

• Reply Megan Stevens December 5, 2014 at 11:23 am

This looks great! I love how simple it is and the inclusion of all that grass-fed cream!! 🙂 Also, I love your idea of pouring it into an ice cream maker! 🙂

• Reply Daja @The Provision Room December 5, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Yes, yes, yes to this!!!! LOVE THIS SEASON! And this looks like Christmas in a cup!

• Reply Cranberry and Lime Kombucha Sparkler: A Festive Holiday Mocktail - Recipes to Nourish December 8, 2014 at 12:55 am

[…] Eggnog by Raising Generation Nourished […]