Batch Up Meals Dinner Ideas Lunch Ideas Real Food 101 Real Food Tips school lunches

Gluten Free Pita Bread

July 4, 2015

Quick and easy batter, sturdy enough to hold ingredients, flexible enough to fold and not break, and tastes amazing! These pitas feel just like real bread!

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!Sometimes you just need a sandwich, ya know?

Being gluten free really does throw a wrench in things as far as the bread world goes. Most are dry, crumbly, or as heavy as a brick. Let’s just be real…gluten is so yummy, isn’t it?!

But even if you tolerate gluten fine, when you start doing the research closely, you’ll find that most store bought breads really have pretty sad ingredient labels. Especially if it is a food you plan on having weekly or, for some, daily.

My gluten free bread experiments have left me more than frustrated. Typically bread requires xanthan gum or other “gum” to give the bread a great rise and a gluten-y texture. Since the jury is still out for me on whether xanthan is smart to have on a weekly basis (I do use xanthan in a couple of very occasional treats we have yearly – as in just a few times in a year), I have put it on the back burner for a while.

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!This pita bread recipe came about one morning when I was making pancakes. I had made the batter thicker than usual that morning. It felt more like bread versus pancakes, and my wheels started turning! A handful of tries later and I got the flour ratios right so the pita would be sturdy enough to hold ingredients, flexible enough to fold and not break, and taste good!

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!The bread-y texture will blow you away. It has a bit of a chew and when you pull it apart it even feels like real soft bread. I was really excited that it could hold as much as it did without falling apart.

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!I did do some experiments on how to store these because in my mind I’m like wanting to make a load of them for school lunch packing. You have no idea how excited I was (think jumping up and down and baby looking at me funny) when I thawed out the ones from the freezer and they were still just as flexible and soft! The image below is one of the pitas out of the freezer after it thawed (!) ::

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!You guys, these pitas cook up so fast – you can easily double it and be done in an hour and have a huge stack of them in the freezer! Fill them with whatever you can imagine. Better yet, set up a pita bar with loads of options and let the kids build their own! Possibilities are endless, from avocado slices or simple guacamole, to sliced veggies, cheese, refried beans, kid friendly tuna salad, or  leftover chicken from your crockpot,  One day I even took some leftover dinner stir fry and stuffed a pita with it – it was amazing!

Gluten Free Pita Bread :: Flexible & soft, yet sturdy enough to stuff with your favorite ingredients! This pita tastes just like bread without gluten or xanthan gum!Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Gluten Free Pita Bread
  1. Everything into a medium mixing bowl and using hand beaters combine well. The batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter - not too runny. Because different climates/locations can have different air conditions, your batter may need either a little more water or a little more tapioca flour to make it the right consistency. Start with this and go from there though!
  2. Use a little olive oil or avocado oil in your pan, and at medium heat scoop some of the batter onto the pan (I used a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop) and use the back of your scoop to help spread out the batter a little. Cook the same way you would cook a pancake - when you see the bubbles and the sides cooking you can flip. Both sides won't need more than a minute or 2. You will want the pitas to cool at least a few minutes before using so they soften up a bit and aren't too hot.
  3. STORING TIPS :: A few things I have learned! I have done this in a half batch and it works fine. This batch as is will make you about 12 pitas the size pictured in this post. I found that freezing the unused pitas right always had a better outcome than storing them in a container at room temp or in the fridge. They get a bit dry storing at room temp/fridge as does most gluten free baked goods. I froze mine flat in a freezer bag and they thawed out really nice - I think it really almost flash froze the freshness/moisture and as it thawed even the moisture from the thawing helped keep it soft and pliable. It didn't take long for the pitas to thaw out so even if you remember to take them out of the freezer a half hour before lunch that would work. If you are planning on packing it up in a lunch the night before (I like to have school lunches made up the night before!), you can take it out to thaw, make the pita, and put it into your container of choice.

For more lunch ideas you can follow my Lunches board on Pintrest!

More real food recipes you might like ::
Real Food Mac N Cheese

Homemade GF Chicken Nuggets

Real Food Sloppy Joes

15628011423_fa5c538e92_zQUICK Real Food Tortilla Pizza

Simple Thin Crust Tortilla PizzaTuna Salad EVERYONE Will Love

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish July 5, 2015 at 7:21 pm

These look awesome! I’m so looking forward to trying these. What a great alternative to bread. Thanks for sharing this great recipe with us.

• Reply heather July 6, 2015 at 7:58 am

totally want to make these!!!! yummy!!!!

• Reply Jessica July 6, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I am so excited about these! Especially since I can make them ahead and store them. Love it!

• Reply angie July 6, 2015 at 3:06 pm

thanks for sharing I am on a new diet cutting out lots of what I normally ate and learning all about alternatives this is great thanks come see us at

• Reply Lesley July 6, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I am allergic to tapioca. Do you have a suggestion for a substitute? Thanks!

• Reply Jamie July 6, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Yum – that looks so good!! Perfect for these warm months! 🙂

• Reply Marjorie July 7, 2015 at 8:13 am

These look amazing! Looking forward to giving them a try.

• Reply Megan Stevens July 7, 2015 at 8:53 am

I love that you have made/tried the recipe with all of these gf flours, very cool. Love the photo of the bread being torn- yummy!! Great texture.

• Reply linda spiker July 7, 2015 at 10:30 am

Amazing as always! Pinned!

• Reply Mindy Benkert July 7, 2015 at 11:00 am

I can’t wait to try these. I love that you give nut-free options as my son is allergic to nuts.

• Reply Tash July 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm

These are great! They look just like actual pita bread! Well done!

• Reply Carol July 7, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Cannot wait to try these!!!! Sincerely need a GF everyday kinda recipe that will adapt well.
    Thanks!! Have shared on FB and pinned.. I am sure so many others will want this recipe!
    Appreciate you sharing your experiment!

• Reply Cindy July 7, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Just made those tonight to go with veal patties, they tasted awesome!

• Reply Anna @Green Talk July 7, 2015 at 10:21 pm

I wonder if I could use GF oats in lieu of the other flours. I am not a big fan of tapioca. These look delicious!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 8, 2015 at 8:22 am

I’m not sure Anna! Let me know if you give it a try!

• Reply Chloe July 8, 2015 at 11:08 am

This looks delicious! Pinning for later!

• Reply The Food Hunter July 8, 2015 at 11:16 am

I’ve been wanting to try pita bread. Thanks for sharing this

• Reply Jasmine July 12, 2015 at 8:05 pm

This is a life changing gluten free recipe! The pita really does have the texture of a nice, soft bread. My gluten loving husband really enjoyed the pita which is the ultimate seal of approval. Thanks so much! By the way, this recipe is perfect with almond flour and there was no need to deviate from the recipe at all. Great job developing such an amazing pita bread recipe!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 12, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hi Jasmine 🙂 I am so glad this recipe works for your family! It really is a game changer!

• Reply Amy C July 13, 2015 at 10:58 am

WOW. Just made these exactly as written…they are PERFECT! So so so good. I will never miss real pita again!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 14, 2015 at 7:34 am

Hi Amy! Awesome – that is exactly what I was going for 🙂 Enjoy them!

• Reply Shannon @ GrowingSlower July 15, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Oh my goodness thank you so much for this recipe! I have really been wanting some pita bread, but I didn’t have a good recipe that was gluten free. This looks perfect!

• Reply Amy July 17, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Do you think this would work with an egg substitute? I recently found out that my almost 2 year old can’t even have eggs baked into things 🙁

• Reply Renee Kohley July 18, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Hi Amy! I think it is worth a shot – I would try some flax egg first or possibly a gelatin egg – does that help?

• Reply Amy July 19, 2015 at 9:43 am

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes! I am planning them for this Friday, so I’ll let you know after I make them! Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 19, 2015 at 11:24 am

• Amy July 24, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Just made these with flax eggs and took a little nibble and it worked great!

• Renee Kohley July 24, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Ohhh good to know Amy! Thank you!

• Reply 100+ Real Food Lunchbox Ideas - Recipes to Nourish July 20, 2015 at 7:08 am

[…] Gluten-Free Pita Bread from Raising Generation Nourished {pictured above} […]

• Reply Patricia July 30, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Is there another flour to substitute for the white rice flour? My son is allergic to wheat and rice…makes it hard since a lot of recipes call for some type of rice flour.

• Reply Renee Kohley July 30, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Hi Patricia! Yes for this recipe I do know that swapping that rice flour for more almond flour works great. I would also say you could probably try sorghum flour and it would still turn out great. I hope that helps!

• Reply Jena August 4, 2015 at 11:15 am

Wow! This GF pita recipe is a home run out of the park! It’s simply AMAZING! I made this yesterday for the first time and it was delicious beyond my expectations! I have been on the search for something that will satisfy those gluten cravings and have never found it UNTIL NOW! Do you have a GF bread recipe as tasty as this pita recipe?!

I made only minimal changes to the recipe. I did not have sugar or honey on hand, so I simply omitted it. I am vegan so instead of two eggs, I used two Ener G egg replacer eggs. I don’t use oil when cooking so I wanted to bake these pitas and see how they turned out. I baked them at 2.5-3 minutes on each side at 450 degrees. The pitas still came out delicious! They were still bready and pulled apart like soft bread. However, I think the temperature was a little high. The pitas didn’t fold well without cracking. But they can still be used as an open face sandwich or mini-pizzas. I did freeze the pitas only minutes after coming out of the oven. So I have yet to let one thaw and see how it folds. I will be sure to add another comment once I use one that has thawed to see if it folds better than straight out of the oven.

This is the perfect pita for me! So flavorful, so chewy and bread-like, gluten, free, oil-free, and vegan! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE! IT’S A LIFE CHANGER! 🙂

• Reply Shaina September 12, 2015 at 11:21 am

First of all, we LOVE this recipe! Secondly, we had to make it nut-free for a co-op we attend every week, and although I’m sure someone has already mentioned it, I wanted to add how we did it. I replaced the almond flour with buckwheat flour, but it was too thick, so I added an extra egg and 1/4 C water. It turned out great, and still has that pliable texture. Thanks again for the recipe, our family LOVES it! P.s. — we used gluten-free certified buckwheat flour. :o)

• Reply 20 Gluten-Free Bread Recipes October 2, 2015 at 2:57 pm

[…] 13.] Gluten Free Pita Bread […]

• Reply 10 Minute Enchilada Sauce :: Plus a delicious enchilada recipe! - Raising Generation Nourished November 28, 2015 at 7:01 pm

[…] in the freezer section of most health food stores. If you want to make your own, you can use this GF pita recipe and just thin out the batter to make a tortilla texture. If you are grain free you can Google grain […]

• Reply 10 Best Gluten Free Bread Recipes You'll Absolutely Love - Urban Tastebud February 23, 2016 at 6:03 pm

[…] 6. Gluten Free Pita Bread […]

• Reply Gluten Free Bread Recipes (50+ of them!) - Life Made Full February 29, 2016 at 4:32 pm

[…] Pita Bread from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply denise March 26, 2016 at 6:58 pm

So excited! I miss wraps etc. Thank you

• Reply Matt April 4, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Perhaps a novice question, but this actually works without xanthan gum or some other binder?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 6, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Hi Mat! Nope the eggs take care of the bind in this recipe!

• Reply Real Food Gluten-Free Flour 101: My Guide To Gluten-Free Baking - Live Simply May 5, 2016 at 11:51 pm

[…] gluten. I use it in these soft lemon breakfast cookies and savory breakfast biscuits, as well as pita bread and cakes. (You can see how I use it in cakes in this chocolate birthday cake, strawberry butterfly […]

• Reply Jana Rodgers May 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

This recipe is phenomenal!!! Thank you! I made homemade gyros last night but had mine on a GF tortilla. It was fine but I was on a mission to find GF pita bread. I made your recipe tonight with brown rice flour and my husband and I were blown away. He doesn’t have to eat GF but he chose these pitas over the storebought ones he had from last night. They are so sturdy but also flexible and wonderfully bready. Again, thank you. This is an awesome recipe.

• Reply Renee Kohley May 7, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Hi Jana! I am so happy the pitas worked out well for your family! Enjoy them!

• Reply Missy May 8, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I just made these and they are fantastic. I didn’t have any sorghum or almond flour, so I used Bob’s Red Mill gf blend and they are really good. And so fast! I’ve been jonesing for a gyro and I’m going out for lamb, cukes, and yogurt in a few minutes. Thank you so much for posting this!

• Reply Sharon Dorman July 9, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Looking to find recipe for grandson to use as ” dipper”with hummus..will baking these give me that result? Thanks

• Reply Renee Kohley July 9, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Hi Sharon! These cook off quite flexible like a pita but I’m sure you could toast them to make a dipper 🙂

• Reply Julia July 9, 2016 at 6:14 pm

This recipe is amazing! So delicious and easy. The taste is neutral with no wierd gluten aftertase which means they are versatile. I am excited to use these more often for anything requiring a wrap or pita.

• Reply Renee Kohley July 10, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback Julia! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!