Perfectly creamy, filled with rich amazing flavor, and loaded with fresh garden zucchini, this cream of zucchini soup will become your favorite use of all that summer zucchini!
I actually have a zucchini harvest this year! Like a real one – one to actually do something with…and not just hoard the handful of squash that come off!
Last year it finally dawned on me…the pollinators in my yard were so few. Sure I tried pollinating the zucchini flowers myself, but still, I would end up with just a handful every year (last year a big fat TWO).
I decided to plant a wildflower garden the following spring to bring more pollinators to our yard, and we ended up making it a big birthday gift for my oldest two spring baby girls who turned 4 and 6 this spring. My husband dug out a large 10 foot square bordered space in our backyard, we put fresh topsoil down, and the girls sprinkled a butterfly wildflower seed mix…and we waited.
And my zucchini…I get to pick it daily. Daily friends! That is more than just a coincidence!
So usually I end up waiting for my favorite farmer at the market to put her zucchini at 50 cents a squash, load up, and make some cream of zucchini soup for the freezer…and this year – I get to use my own!
Despite zucchini’s neutral/bland flavor, this soup is nothing short of amazing in taste. When you cook a veggie combo down in that pot with some friendly fats, garlic, and sea salt the flavor will blow you away.
Take advantage of your exploding garden – or those amazing farm stand or market prices and stock up the freezer for fall!
Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
- ¼ cup or so of butter to cook in (or tallow/lard, coconut oil, avocado oil)
- 2 small/medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1½ quarts bone broth (homemade preferable for more nutrients but use what you have)
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp cayenne (this is optional if you don't like heat - it is still really good without it)
- Sea salt/pepper to taste (If your broth was unseasoned be sure to season liberally)
- Whole sour cream and chives to garnish the top
- Melt your butter in a soup pot and add the onion, carrot, celery, and zucchini along with a big pinch of sea salt to draw out the veggie's juices to sweeten them. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the broth and cayenne and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender in batches), and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a dollop of whole sour cream and chopped chives if you want!
For more real food lunch ideas, follow my Lunch Ideas board on Pintrest!
More real food recipes you might like: