A whole box of spinach in my family by 8am???
We do breakfast pretty big in my family. We don’t eat much after dinnertime most days, so we need a recharge at breakfast!
This is one of our favorite breakfast sautés and mama can feel good about getting all that green down her family for a full day of school, work, and play!
Don’t be intimidated! This breakfast comes together so fast and is very simple to do!
Sweet Potato and Greens Breakfast Saute
Author: Renee - www.raisinggenerationnourished.com
- 4-5 strips of pastured bacon, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 box organic spinach
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon and set aside. LEAVE the bacon grease behind in the pan to cook in!
- Saute the onion and sweet potato with a few pinches of sea salt for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the spinach and cooked bacon and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Do all your chopping the night before! This cooks up fast anyway, but even faster if you have it all ready to dump into the pan when you wake up!
- Spinach is one of the produce items I do buy only organic. Greens are heavily pesticided and are on the dirty dozen list yearly. I have to pick and choose what I can afford organic on our budget and this is just one I don’t compromise on.
- Change up the veggies to what is in season!
- Make it an egg scramble instead of using the bacon if that is what you have! Just sauté the veggies until they are done and add a few scrambled up eggs and stir around until cooked through.
- This amount fed my family for one meal (my toddlers had 2 toddler sized platefuls though!). Double up if you have a larger family or if you want leftovers.
- Don’t forget the toddlers! As my husband and I eat, so do the littles. When you cook veggies the right way – they taste SO (so!) good! My girls inhale this breakfast!
- Read THIS on why breakfast cereals are toxic. I know it is an American staple…but there are so many other choices – I hope to show you that over the course of my writing here on RGN!
- Read THIS on why you shouldn’t be afraid of friendly fats like pastured pork fat.
- Read THIS on why pastured pork products are more superior in nourishment.
How else do you get green down your family during the day?