So I’m sharing one of my secret weapons today!
We all know that slow cooker meals really make life easy. I have to be honest that I actually don’t use my slow cooker as much as I should! I do, however have a handfull of recipes that I use when life gets a bit crazy.
I had a birthday party to prepare for a couple of weeks ago, so I was sure to put one of my slow cooker recipes on the menu so I didn’t have to think about cooking – and so that we would have some leftovers to glean from during the busy weekend. I also always pack up 2 portions that I set aside to put in my husband’s meals to take to work for this week.
So here is one of my secret weapons for busy weekends! One pot. All in one meal. I usually take about 10 minutes to prep everything before I go to bed the night before so that I can just dump in first thing in the morning!
- 1 ½ to 2 quarts chicken bone broth (Depending on if you want a thicker soup or not. I usually go for the 2 quarts to stretch it.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups cooked chicken from your weekly crockpotted chicken.
- 1 ½ cups sprouted and cooked black beans (or one 15 oz can organic black beans)
- 1 pint refried beans (You could use 1 can organic refried beans – just watch the ingredients)
- 1 cup frozen organic corn (I get the big bags at Costco. Canned would work too – just stick with organic or your corn is most likely GMO’d)
- 1 – 16oz jar organic salsa
- 1-2 tsp taco seasoning (I use my own blend)
- ½ cup uncooked organic long grain white rice
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Handfuls of spinach to wilt in before serving if desired
- Grated raw cheese or whole sour cream to top if desired
- Everything in the crockpot EXCEPT the spinach, and cheese or sour cream.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4 hours. Wilt the spinach in before serving if you want that in there and garnish with cheese or sour cream.
- HERE is how to sprout your black beans. Sprouting makes the beans easier to digest and more nutritious! And listen. I don’t sprout beans every time I want to make this! I sprout beans for my freezer separately in HUGE batches so they are always on hand. The whole point of a dinner like this is fast dump in’s to make life easy on busy days!
- HERE is my refried bean recipe – it is SO good! **If you go with canned refried beans you may want to add more seasoning (like Mexican or taco seasoning) to your soup – my refried beans are much more flavorful than most you will find in a can so the soup doesn’t end up needing much in the seasoning department!
- HERE is how you can make your own nourishing chicken bone broth full of minerals and gelatin!
- HERE is my crockpot chicken method. This soup is a great way to use up the leftover chicken you have from your weekly chicken dinner!
So tell me! What slow cooker dinners do you fall back on when you have a busy weekend?