There are only 1 or 2 brands of canned coconut milk without BPA packaging, and without questionable gums and fillers. And those 1 or 2 brands are so pricy for my budget. Especially when making your own coconut milk is just so simple and cost effective!
This recipe makes a quart and a half of coconut milk. I purchase coconut shreds from the bulk refrigerated section at our local health food store and they come in bags that equal about 7 cups – where ever you end up getting your shreds from just use a 1:1 ratio of shreds to water and you will be good to go! Also! I don’t have a high powered blender so don’t worry if you don’t have one. The only blender I have is a Magic Bullet and it works just fine for the blending part! I have to do the blending in batches but it works just as well!
Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand should I use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
DIY Coconut Milk
- 7 cups unsweetened coconut shreds shreds work better than flakes in my experience
- 7 cups water brought to a boil
- Optional splashes of vanilla or almond extract to flavor
- Put the coconut in a large mixing bowl, and pour the boiling water over the coconut shreds.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let it steep 2-3 hours.
- Pour the water/coconut shred mixture into a blender and blend about a minute.
- Store the milk in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for months. Shake the coconut milk before serving –the cream will separate.
Let me know how the coconut milk making goes!
This post was shared at Fat Tuesday!