Batch Up Meals Dinner Ideas Instant Pot Lunch Ideas Nourishing Staples Real Food 101 Real Food Tips Soup

How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals

January 30, 2016

Learn how to optimize your time and still get real food on the table using your Instant Pot to make a whole chicken in under an hour without compromising nutrition!

How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals From Soups, Wraps, Salads, & Stir Frys!

Routine…

These days I literally thrive off of it. My desire to keep my kitchen real food based plus a house full of little ones makes routine a necessity.

I physically don’t have the time to be in the kitchen all day. It’s that simple!

So for years my kitchen routine – specifically my chicken and bone broth routine – has been on autopilot…literally. It was something I didn’t have to think about.

I made a whole chicken or two on a Sunday and use the meat for the next few days while freezing the rest. I would dump the bones back into the oven roaster or slow cooker and let it go overnight until the next evening when I would strain it off, cool it in the fridge overnight, and then pop it into the freezer. All in all it was a 2 day process – though certainly not all hands on time. I honestly could do the routine without even thinking about it…

…and then my Instant Pot arrived.

And it sat…

…and sat.

And sat.

Until about a month after I had it {still in the box} my husband asked if I was ever going to “try that thing out” and I decided I better try. I kept reading about chickens being made in less than an hour and bone broth in hours instead of a whole day and while it intrigued me….it’s just hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

But it can be done!

Over the last few months my routine has fallen in love with my brand new kitchen buddy…my Instant Pot! I can have a week or so worth of chicken meat and the bone broth done in half a day versus 2 days…that my friends is a game changer!

I still very much love to slow roast my chickens , especially in the winter. You just can’t take the traditional foodie out of me – there is something about warming the house up in the winter with a slow roasted chicken and a pot of simmering bone broth! But I am finding that the days don’t get less busy as you step out of newborn-hood – they actually get busier! And being able to stock up on nourishing pastured chicken and bone broth so quickly is so helpful!

I decided to lay this out “tutorial style” for all those “old dogs learning new tricks” like I was….take a deep breath – this is not much different than you were doing before!

Gently lift the skin on the chicken breast and spread about a half palm-full of herbs and sea salt over the breast. This is optional but gives really good flavor to the meat. I don’t even measure – just sprinkle it into your palm and gently stuff your fist under the skin to rub the season on the meat.

Set the chicken breast down in the Instant Pot right on top of the rack, and sprinkle sea salt, pepper, and herbs if you wish to the chicken as well as to the liquid in the pot as this will give the meat stock leftover great flavor for soups or other cooking.

Turn the vent valve to closed, plug the Instant Pot in, push the “Meat” setting, and then bring the time down manually to 25 minutes. It will turn on automatically and will say “On.” while it comes to pressure for about 10 minutes.

Once the pot comes to pressue, the 25 minute clock will count down. After your chicken pressure cooks 25 minutes, turn it off and let it sit in there to naturally release about 15-20 minutes. Turning that valve right away to release the pressure will pull all the moisture out of the meat – you don’t want that! Let it sit and release naturally and then release the valve and open the top.

• 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 3 stalks of celery, coarsly chopped
  • ½ head of garlic (just smash the cloves)
  • 2-3 cups filtered water
  • 1 whole pastured chicken (around 5 lbs)
  • Thyme, oregano, sea salt, and pepper to taste
  1. Put the veggies and garlic into the bottom of your Instant Pot bowl, pour in the water, and set the rack for the chicken on top of the veggies.
  2. Gently lift the skin on the chicken breast and spread about a half palm-full of herbs and sea salt over the breast. This is optional but gives really good flavor to the meat. Set the chicken breast down in the Instant Pot right on top of the rack
  3. Sprinkle sea salt, pepper, and herbs if you wish to the chicken as well as to the liquid in the pot as this will give the meat stock leftover great flavor for soups or other cooking.
  4. Turn the vent valve to closed, plug the Instant Pot in, push the "Meat" setting, and then bring the time down manually to 25 minutes. It will turn on automatically. It takes about 10 minutes for it to come to pressure and then the 25 minute clock will count down.
  5. After your chicken pressure cooks 25 minutes, turn it off and let it sit in there to naturally release about 15-20 minutes. Turning that valve right away to release the pressure will pull all the moisture out of the meat - you don't want that! Let it sit and release naturally and then release the valve and open the top.
  6. From there you can take your chicken out, chop it up and either freeze it for later in the week or use it right away. You can strain out the liquid in the bowl (called meat stock) to use for soups or other cooking, and then toss the rest of the chicken carcass back in to make your bone broth.

For more Instant Pot recipes you can follow my Instant Pot board on Pinterest!

More real food recipes you might like:

Instant Pot Bone Broth

Instant Pot Bone Broth :: Learn how to use *any* bones to make fast, nourishing bone broth with your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Stew

Instant Pot Italian Sausage Stew
Sweet & Sour Chicken

15794366263_00eb7cb05e_z

3 Kid Friendly Stir Frys

The Real Food Vs. Processed Food Crisis...And 3 Stir Fry Meals That Will Have Your Kids Gladly Eating Their Veggies!

Autumn Harvest Chicken Stew

Autumn Harvest Chicken Stew

• Reply How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals | Bloggers Point January 31, 2016 at 12:56 pm

[…] See more here: How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals […]

• Reply Sarah April 1, 2017 at 6:13 am

Hi Renee! Thanks for this great recipe. I made Instant Pot chicken for dinner tonight and it was delicious! And I have a quart or so of good chicken stock.

Now I’m going to use the carcass and make bone broth tomorrow…. I just wish I had read the comments sooner and seen your suggestion to save the veggies. I already threw them out! But no matter, I have more on hand.

Is there a reason the stock I got out of my Instant Pot chicken doesn’t go into making the bone broth? Do certain recipes call specifically for chicken stock *or* chicken bone broth? Could (or should) the stock go back into the pot with the carcass and fresh veggies to make the bone broth?

Thank you in advance, and I hope you’re having a nice start to the weekend!

• Reply Renee Kohley April 2, 2017 at 9:23 am

Hi Sarah! The juices/stock leftover from making a whole chicken is called “meat stock” – a little different than “bone broth” as it is a shorter cook time but it still has gelatin and other amazing benefits. I keep that liquid and use it for soup, stew, stir fry juices, etc. It tastes great, and is kind of like getting “free” broth everytime you make a chicken! Then you can make bone broth from the carcass for more broth. Does that help?

• Reply Meg April 19, 2017 at 5:56 pm

So for someone who has to have meat stock (easing my way back into true bone broth after having some sensitivity to the glutamate from true bone broth), could I just add more liquid to this recipe so I have more leftover juice/meat stock? I’m assuming I would have to adjust the cooking time as well? (Sorry I’ve been using slow cookers for years and am new the whole Instant Pot thing.)

• Renee Kohley April 21, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Hi Meg! Great question! Yes you can!

• Reply Avalon July 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm

But is there any reason the chicken stock should NOT be left in the pot when you toss the bones in? Wouldn’t that make the chicken stock more nutritious and the bone broth more flavorful? Two in one sounds good to me!

• Renee Kohley July 13, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Avalon! Yes you can do that. I use the broth literally daily in our house, however, so straining off the meat stock to use and then making bone broth just gives me more broth to work with. I hope that helps!

• Reply Jessica February 1, 2016 at 10:45 am

I love how you did this tutorial. So nice for those learning to use their instant pots!

• Reply Renee Kohley February 1, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Thank you Jessica!

• Reply Jean Feher February 18, 2017 at 8:33 am

After the 25 minutes, is it okay to let it go into the keep warm mode until I get home later?

• Reply Renee Kohley February 23, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Hi Jean! It depends on how long. I wouldn’t leave it all day or all afternoon. A crockpotted chicken might be a better option for you if you are gone all day and want to come home to it done. If you are just going to be gone an hour, I would say that is fine.

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish February 1, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I love that Instant Pots can do anything. This is such a great tutorial!

• Reply Janis February 2, 2016 at 11:38 am

I love this recipe. Can’t wait to make this. I have one question. Why push the meat button and not the poultry button? Is there a difference?

• Reply Renee Kohley February 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hi Janis! You can push poultry if you wish! It doesn’t really matter since you will be manually be setting the time for 25.

• Reply Linda March 18, 2017 at 11:32 am

I have A 6 lb chicken. Can I cook it in the instant pot?

• Reply Renee Kohley March 18, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Yes! I would pop your time up by a few minutes though.

• Kess June 6, 2017 at 10:54 pm

I cooked it as the tutorial said and my chicken is still RAW. Completely threw off our entire dinner, and now everyone has to wait for the chicken to actually cool. Very disappointed.

• Renee Kohley June 7, 2017 at 11:27 am

Hi Kess! That is disappointing. I have never had an issue with the settings on this recipe, and I make it almost weekly. This is a typical poultry/whole chicken setting that you will find on the Instant Pot website and cookbooks – the seasonings and veggies are just my own. I wonder if your seal was good and if it was set on high pressure (not low pressure)? Also if your chicken was not all the way thawed out that will not cook the same. I hope some of those thoughts help. I am sorry about your ruined dinner timing – I have been there and it does not bode well with little kids around!

• Reply casey February 2, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Great tutorial Renee!! Just curious though, what did you do with the veggies? Did you take them out prior to making the bone broth?

• Reply Renee Kohley February 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Hi Casey! Great question! I strain the liquid out and use it for soups or sauces or other cooking. And then I toss the veggies back in to make bone broth.

• Reply Elyse April 5, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Hi. I’m a first timer. After tossing in the veggies to make the bone broth after cooking the chicken do I toss the veggies after that? Or if I don’t want to make bone broth what do I do with the veggies? Thanks!!

• Reply Renee Kohley April 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Hi Elyse! The veggies from making your chicken can be tossed in to make bone broth, or can be blended up with the juices left in the pot for a yummy gravy!

• Reply Instant Pot Bone Broth - Raising Generation Nourished February 3, 2016 at 6:42 am

[…] them on a sheet pan and roast them at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. If you are making a beef roast or whole chicken in the Instant Pot, you can just toss the bones right back into the IP after you strip the meat for your broth making! […]

• Reply Quick and Easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup - Live Simply February 29, 2016 at 7:34 pm

[…] can cook a whole chicken in your Instant Pot in 25 minutes and have lots of budget-friendly chicken meat for the freezer. You can pull out a cup or two when […]

• Reply Why I love my Instant Pot (and a recipe for macaroni and cheese) - Simply Healthy Home March 4, 2016 at 9:18 am

[…] whole frozen chicken (The link is not for a frozen […]

• Reply Shelly March 19, 2016 at 3:46 pm

This is really a great tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to make it! I wanted to ask, after you take the meat off the chicken, your tossing the bones back into the instant pot, adding water to make the bone broth. Don’t the veggies start to deteriorate being in the pressure cooker for so long?

• Reply Renee Kohley March 19, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Hi Shelly! Yes they are pretty soft by the end – I do sometimes add some fresh veg to the pot for making the bone broth – I usually keep a bag of veggie scraps in the freezer to put in. I hope that helps!

• Reply Betsy W. April 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Great tutorial for us “newbies”! I was thinking about adding 4 medium potatoes, quartered. How much time should I add to the cook time?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 4, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hi Betsy! I’m not sure on the potatoes but I have heard you just put them in later – they don’t take much time to cook in the pressure cooker at all. I’m thinking if they are in the whole time they might get too mushy?

• Reply Maria June 3, 2016 at 10:59 am

You made me feel more NORMAL when you said your IP sat and sat and sat. I bought this as my Christmas to myself and delivered to where I was going to visit so I could cook when I was visiting my son. Drove back home across the country with it in the trunk and didn’t use it for some time- still in the box unpacked. Eventually I hesitantly started using expecting it to blow up – I don’t know why but I was scared to try it(haha. Once I did, it’s become my new “best friend”. Your recipe is in it now. It’s my second time trying cooking a whole chicken. Thanks for the tutorial.

Now I just need to not put the stock in the back of the refrigerator! Old dog learning new stuff🐶

Maria Elena

• Reply Renee Kohley June 3, 2016 at 8:26 pm

That’s great Maria!!

• Reply Vicky February 25, 2017 at 6:31 pm

😂 I, too, have been a coward about using my InatantPot, which I’ve had for 7 weeks. I’m finally using it today….cooking a whole chicken NOW…smells wonderful!
      Vicky

• Reply Renee Kohley February 26, 2017 at 8:22 am

Good for you Vicky! It sure has been a game changer in our house!

• Reply betty troutman April 5, 2017 at 1:46 pm

maria—ive had the pot for a month and do have it out of the box——however…..will——eventually====ihope. ……….. betty

• Reply Lauren van der Horst July 17, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Any ideas on how long to cook this, if my chicken is frozen? Or should I be sure to defrost it before? Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 21, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Hi Lauren! From what I understand, it is not advised to do a whole frozen chicken – it cooks most thorough when it is thawed.

• Reply Rachel Yance July 17, 2016 at 7:56 pm

What kind of rack do you use in the instant pot?
    Thanks

• Reply Renee Kohley July 21, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Hi Rachel! I use the rack that it comes with!

• Reply Kristi seibert July 31, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Your recipe calls for A 5lb chicken. I have a 6 pounder. How much more time should I cook it for?

• Reply Renee Kohley August 1, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Hi Kristi! I add an extra 2 minutes per pound after 5lbs.

• Reply Kim August 13, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Which size Instant Pot are you using to cook a whole chicken? Six or eight quart?

• Reply Renee Kohley August 13, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Hi Kim! I have a 6qt!

• Reply Dana July 20, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Hi, Renee. There are just two of us so if I can cook a whole chicken in the 6 qt it is probably the size for us… would you agree or should I get the larger just to be safe?

• Reply Renee Kohley July 20, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Hi Dana! I think that would be fine! Keep in mind that a lot of Instant Pot recipes you will find online will be using the bigger one so you may want to just remember to half the amounts for soups, for instance so you aren’t overflowing!

• Reply Rosanna Hurrell August 19, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I am confused as the direction says to place chicken breast down, but in the photos it does not look this way? It looks like the breast is facing up in your photos. Can you please confirm? Thanks!!!

• Reply Renee Kohley August 27, 2016 at 11:08 am

Hi Rosanna – the first few pictures it is breast up – the picture of it in the pot it is breast down. I have it flipped breast up so I can get the herbs under the skin of the breast before I put it into the pot. I hope that helps!

• Reply Susie Maurer September 30, 2016 at 11:24 am

Thanks so much for the beautiful clarity of this recipe. Can tell you really are a wonderful cook!

• Reply Renee Kohley October 1, 2016 at 9:14 am

Thank you Susie! I’m glad it was helpful to you!

• Reply AMANDA BEAUCHAMP October 9, 2016 at 7:35 pm

I just tried this to the letter and the chicken only reaches 98 degrees.

• Reply Renee Kohley October 10, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Hi Amanda! I have been finding out more and more lately that sometimes Instant Pots run different temperatures because I will try other’s recipes and either be too overdone or underdone. In this case you definitely can put the lid back on and pressure cook another, say 10 minutes? I am not sure why this is as I am still fairly new to using the IP myself!

• Reply Missy November 8, 2016 at 11:48 am

Thanks to the great tutorial — I’m trying today and can’t wait! I’m also planning on making some chicken noodle soup. Would you recommend using the stock from this recipe or the bone broth for my soup? I’ll be making both.

• Reply Judy December 10, 2016 at 11:08 am

Thank you for your easy instructions and recipe for the whole chicken. I can’t wait to try it. We just got our Instant Pot a couple of weeks ago so I’m still learning how to use it.

• Reply Carol December 10, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Cooking now. Will use chicken for chicken and dumplings

• Reply tiffaney January 3, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Followed your recipe and the chicken was very tender and the leftover meat broth was delicious too! I’m a new instant pot user so your tutorial was so helpful! Thanks so much for this tutorial and recipe

• Reply Renee Kohley January 4, 2017 at 3:43 pm

That’s great Tiffaney! Thanks for coming back to let us know!

• Reply tennille January 4, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Hello! I have the costco version of the instant pot, which is a power pressure cooker. Do you happen to know if they all basically work the same and if this recipe can be applied to all? Realize it is a crazy question!

• Reply Renee Kohley January 6, 2017 at 1:59 pm

That is a great question – I sure hope someone on reading through can help answer it because I truly don’t know! There are a couple of great Instant Pot groups on Facebook if you happen to use facebook – just search instant pot groups and they should come up – you can join and ask there. I often see people post recipes using different pressure cookers.

• Reply Tracie January 5, 2017 at 10:59 am

You’ve inspired me to open the box! I’m excited about a quick and delicious chicken for dinner. Thanks for the step by step for us newbies:)

• Reply Renee Kohley January 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm

That’s great Tracie! You’re welcome!

• Reply 100+ Paleo Instant Pot Recipes - My Heart Beets January 7, 2017 at 5:21 pm

[…] Whole Chicken […]

• Reply Rebecca January 21, 2017 at 11:05 am

This worked perfectly and the leftover chicken stock was amazing as well! Thank you so much.

• Reply Angela Burch February 3, 2017 at 12:50 pm

I’m about to use my IP for the first time. I did a “test run”, and after reading this post, I feel confident.

Thank you so much for all that you do, Renee- and with such a sweet spirit. You are awesome! 🙂

• Reply Renee Kohley February 3, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Angela! I am so excited for you! You are going to love your IP! Let me know how it goes! And thank you for your kind words – that really means a lot!

• Reply Angela Burch February 3, 2017 at 3:43 pm

You’re welcome! 🙂

The chicken is cooked to perfection! Now to make bone broth.
        No stopping me now! 😉

• Reply Renee Kohley February 4, 2017 at 10:03 am

It is such a game changer isn’t it!

• Reply Ardis February 24, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I too have been on stock/broth autopilot. Takes forever but I have system. I’ve been staring at my new IP and haven’t taken the leap. This was a great tutorial and I just successfully completed my first batch of stock, thanks to you! On to broth…. Thank you for the great tutorial!

• Reply Renee Kohley February 24, 2017 at 1:35 pm

You sound like me Ardis! I was the same way! Just had always done it the same way and was my routine! Now my IP is my routine!

• Reply Erica Kotin March 5, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Thanks so much for this! I have the chicken in as we speak and can’t wait!! I too was a crockpot person, but love my IP now! Quick question- any reason I can’t leave the liquid in and just add more water, etc. to make the bone broth? Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley March 7, 2017 at 8:59 am

Hi Erica! I strain that liquid after making the chicken and use it as broth – it is called “meat stock” – it has gelatin and great benefits! While different than bone broth, it is still healthful and its like a free broth for cooking in! Then I make the bone broth with fresh water. I hope that helps!

• Reply Nicole March 5, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Do you cook the organs with the bird or save them for the broth?

• Reply misty dawn March 13, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I just wanted to say that this was a great recipe! I wanted to do something simple for my first instant pot recipe as well, and this one hit the mark! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Renee Kohley March 14, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Great Misty! Thanks for coming back with feedback!

• Reply Jason Wong March 18, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Can’t wait to try this but I have a smaller chicken and a 5qt model IP. Do you think your 25 min timing works out to 5 min per pound? Meaning if my chicken is only 3 lbs I should cook for 15 min?

• Reply Pattie Abram March 22, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Bought my Instant Pot on Monday and I’m trying this chicken tonight. Thanks for the tutorial…us newbies need all the help we can get!

• Reply 100+ Instant Pot Whole30 Recipes - My Heart Beets March 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm

[…] Whole Chicken […]

• Reply A Dice March 31, 2017 at 5:24 pm

I bought an 8 qt Instant Pot. Do you think the cooking times will be the same for this larger pot?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 2, 2017 at 9:23 am

That is a great question – I believe so. The cook times on the Instant Pot website for meat and poultry are all the same regardless of the size IP so I think you should be good to go!

• Reply Alexandra April 3, 2017 at 11:55 pm

My oh my. I stumbled upon your blog while looking for IP recipes for whole chicken and bone broth. Then I found your posts on feeding babies! And they’re in line with WAPF?! Gold mine. Right here. Last night I made the whole chicken. When I opened the IP the chicken was so tender it was already falling apart in the pot! Could I fool anybody into thinking I’m Martha Stewart by serving that chicken on a platter at a dinner party? Absolutely not. But that doesn’t matter because it was simply delish! I tore the meat off (really it just fell off) and saved the bones. Then, I took my immersion blender to the goodies at the bottom of the pot and saved it. Today, my husband made chicken salad with some of the meat. I fed my 8mo an egg yolk for the first time (thanks to your great tutorial!) and felt bad throwing out the white. But ah! Leftover meat stock to the rescue! I heated some up, threw in the egg whites, and had myself a little eggy soup for lunch. Now my IP is busy making me some bone broth that I will feed to 8mo in a few days to make sure she has no reactions to the egg. Side note – she loved the egg yolk so much she voraciously ate the whole thing! I’m so glad I stopped on by! Thanks for your great posts!

• Reply Renee Kohley April 4, 2017 at 8:24 am

Hi Alexandra! Welcome to RGN! I love your descriptions – thank you for the time you took to write back your review – I appreciate that so much. It really makes my day to hear about your little one gobbling up those nourishing egg yolks!

• Reply Linda April 5, 2017 at 4:47 pm

I’m trying this for first time and want to follow your instructions for cooking the chicken but what I want to know is is it possible to make biscuit dumplings in that IP at the SAME time as the chicken and if not how do i do it?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 5, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Hi Linda! I have not tried that before so I’m not sure! I apologize I’m not more helpful!

• Reply Sarah April 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Hi Renee! I don’t have a steamer insert for my instant pot. Will it still work without one?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 21, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Hi Sarah! Yes! I have done this! (On accident forgot to put it in!) It works fine!

• Reply Jodi May 17, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I am a newbie to the instant pot duo plus. I don’t have a poultry setting on mine. Should I just put it on meat? I haven’t tried anything in it yet but thought this chicken recipe might be a place to start.

• Reply Renee Kohley May 18, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Hi Jodi! Yes, the meat setting should be fine!

• Reply Jean Melvin May 23, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Dear Renee:
    Can I cook potatoes, carrots, and chucks of cabbage in my Instant pot, which I just got for Mother’s Day all at once in the cooker? What setting do I use and for how long for time. The book doesn’t help me any?
    Jean Melvin

• Reply Renee Kohley May 23, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Hi Jean! Yes, you can. Cook time will depend on how you like the texture of your veggies as well as how thick/think you cut them. Cabbage also doesn’t need as much cook time as a potato or carrot, you have to be real careful with that – maybe make them larger cuts. Also keep in mind this type of cooking will not yeild a “crisp” finish – it will be soft – like steamed vegetables. If you like the crispy finish that baking gives to the skin on potatoes or cabbage, this is not a good cook method. If you prefer the finish that a steamed veggie gives, this will be great for you! I usually do a full pot of potatoes for mashed potatoes in about 10 minutes high pressure.

• Reply Jean Melvin May 26, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Renee, do I need a steamer insert for my IP for steaming veggies. I saw one on the site for 11.00$ on Amazon?
        I want to steam, potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage all at once in the IP.
        Or do I just put them in the original I Pot it came with with the rack on the bottom with 1 or 2 cups of liquid????
        My whole chicken, following your recipe was a big hit last night!
        So juicy and tender, when I was de-boning and taking the skin off the juices were running down my arm.
        Using this recipe from now on, but next time I’d like to try the poultry setting instead of the meat setting to see if there is a difference. Have you tried the poultry setting yourself? Great recipe, thank you Renee! 🙂

• Reply Ann July 6, 2017 at 2:25 pm

I enjoyed making this recipe with a whole chicken! Would it work to use 5lbs of bone-in chicken thighs instead? And would the cook time stay the same? Thanks!

• Reply Andrea July 8, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Loved the recipe and tutorial! I’m super pumped to make some chicken now . I didn’t get a chicken rack with my instns t pot though…only the egg/steam rack. Where can I find the chicken rack?

• Reply Renee Kohley July 10, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Hi Andrea! The steam/egg rack that comes with the IP is what you can rest it on. And since writing this post I have made it without the rack and it works great too. The rack just makes it easier to pull out!

• Reply Cindy July 19, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Can you make the whole chicken but put rice in with it to cook?

• Reply Pamela M Alexandra July 25, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Why do you use the “Meat” setting instead of the “Poultry” setting to cook this chicken? I would like to make it and will give a rating as soon as I do!

• Reply Renee Kohley July 26, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Hi Pamela! I have used both settings and haven’t noticed a difference in cooking outcome!

• Reply 20 Minute Chicken, Mushrooms, and Kale With Tomato Basil Cream Sauce :: Gluten and Dairy Free - Raising Generation Nourished July 26, 2017 at 7:59 pm

[…] happened to use some leftover chicken from our Instant Pot chicken over the weekend for this meal. I’ve been using the Instant Pot a lot this summer for my […]

• Reply Trina August 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Which size 6 or 8 qt instapot did you use?

• Reply 20 Minute Ginger Almond Crispy Chicken Stir Fry With Bone Broth Rice :: Nut Free Options and Rice Alternatives Included! - Raising Generation Nourished August 18, 2017 at 6:50 pm

[…] use my Instant Pot to cook one or two chickens most weeks (if you have a slow cooker, that works just as good and is how I did my chickens for […]