I give our guts a bit of a dairy break come fall, and in the deep of winter our raw milk share decreases so we get even more of a break. It is such a great practice for everyone to rotate food around with the seasons! Come May we are just craving that nutrient dense dairy from cows grazing on fresh spring grasses all day! The taste difference will blow you away if you have never tried! If you can tolerate dairy, I encourage you to go to your local farmers markets and ask around for quality dairy sources! THIS is also a good website to look for local raw dairy in your area.
Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 pound organic strawberries
- 2-4 TB raw honey depending on the sweetness of your berries – in season berries will not need as much!
- 1 pint whole organic cream Raw preferable. Just NOT ultrapasturized. (If you are dairy free swap it for whole coconut milk!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 TB tapioca starch You can use 4 pastured egg yolks instead if you can tolerate eggs!
- 1 TB organic vodka this helps the ice cream not get rock hard in the freezer
- Puree the strawberries with the honey until well combined.
- Pour the strawberry mixture and the rest of the ingredients into a medium bowl, and using hand beaters, blend the mixture for just under a minute (The air will make it nice and fluffy but don’t go too long or you will have whipped cream!)
- Set the ice cream mixture in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Beat the mixture again quickly to combine, and pour into your ice cream maker according to your ice cream maker’s directions. Mine takes about 30 minutes.
- Store ice cream in the freezer. I use empty coconut oil jugs!
Product links in this section are from affiliate partners. There is no extra cost to you, and it helps maintain the site and provide free content to you! Know that I would never recommend a product that I wouldn’t use or feed my family!
- Change the fruit to the season! We’ll be making blueberry ice cream this July, peach and cherry ice cream this August, and raspberry ice cream at the end of summer!
- I have just a simple ice cream maker, and it works great! No need for something fancy, *although* I have my eyes on THIS larger, 2 quart ice cream maker!
- I recommend THIS brand of coconut milk as it has no added ingredients and is in a BPA free container.