We are big breakfast people. It is usually our biggest meal of the day, and then we taper off the portion sizes the rest of the day. And especially on weekends when my husband is actually home to eat breakfast with us, Saturday and Sunday breakfasts are a pretty big deal around here!
- ¼ – ½ lb pastured ground breakfast sausage (Depending on how much sausage you want in the muffins. I do make my own sausage blend and add it to plain ground pork.)
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1 ½ TB whole milk or coconut milk if you are dairy free
- 1 TB organic olive oil
- ¼ tsp aluminum free baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- About a handful of spinach
- Shredded raw cheese of choice to top (optional)
- Pre-heat oven 375 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in some butter or coconut oil.
- Beat the eggs, milk, olive oil, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- In a well greased (with butter or coconut oil) 6 muffin tin, divide the sausage and spinach in each cup.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and sausage.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Make the entire batter up the night before. Even get them into the muffin tin. Just cover it up and store in the fridge over night and you can bake them off in the morning. Most of the time I at least brown the sausage the night before. The batter comes together in less time than the oven takes to pre-heat so I do tend to just make it up in the morning!
- Double or triple up for a brunch crowd!
- Change up the veggies to what is in season! Zucchini in the summer, greens in the winter, asparagus tops in the spring!
- Don’t forget the kiddos! This is actually a great on the go breakfast to school!
So tell me what you love planning on your weekend brunch menu! And keep me posted if you try the egg muffins!