Condiments

Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise

September 15, 2014

Product links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site! Please know I would never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise
Ok! Raise your hand if you grew up with Miracle Whip or Hellman’s spread all over your white bread sandwich with electric yellow cheese and bologna?!

*Raising both hands*

I seriously love mayo. While we don’t typically have bread in the house anymore (unless I want to shell out for gluten free bread), I really love the taste and “zip” it brings to chicken salad, wraps, and even salads.

Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise
Store bought mayo has not been in my fridge in many years. The rancid oils, and mile long list of other additives is just unnecessary. Even “healthy” versions in your health food store are usually not what they claim to be. I just picked up one the other day that boasted it was olive oil mayo – it wasn’t even the first oil listed! Of course soy oil was, and soy is definitely not a health food.

I made up this recipe a little over a year ago when I discovered one of my girls just wasn’t handling eggs great. Many homemade mayos have an egg or yolk base, and we were bummed to have to take homemade mayo out of our menu. She loved chicken salad and liked it spread on lettuce leaves.

Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise
I love the texture and “spread-ability” of this mayo – and if you are used to the store bought stuff you are going to be amazed at how much this tastes just like Miracle Whip. You can taylor the tang and/or the sweet to your taste.

Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise :: Egg Free

• 1 cup avocado oil (olive oil works too or a combo of the 2)
  • 1 cup sour cream (if you are dairy free use coconut yogurt)
  • Juice of ½ lemon (start with this and if you want more tang add the other ½)
  • 2 tsp organic mustard (watch those ingredients!)
  • 1-2 TB organic pure cane sugar or coconut sugar (raw honey would work too)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp pepper
  1. Everything into a quart jar or similar sized jar and pulse with an immersion blender until well combined and thick. Alternately, you could put everything into the food processor EXCEPT the oil, start the blend and slowly add the oil through the drip top to emulsify.

Tips:

• I love the avocado oil because it has a neutral taste. It is a beautiful friendly fat for our bodies too!
  • Here is the immersion blender I use – it is one of the most used kitchen tools in my house! Less than 30 seconds and your mayo is nice and thick!
  • This batch makes a little over a pint of mayo.

This post was shared at The Homestead Barnhop, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, & Allergy Free Wednesday!

• Reply Dale September 15, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Great! headed to the kitchen to try this now! How long does this keep? I may need to cut recipe in half….Thank you!

• Reply Renee Kohley September 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hi Dale 🙂 This actually keeps as long as your sour cream date is – that is another nice thing about not having the egg in there. Once an egg is cracked it only keeps a week. This mayo can last a few weeks in the fridge. Definitely half it at first to be sure you like it though 🙂

• Reply Jessica @ConveyAwareness September 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm

An excellent way to get in more healthy fats with the use of the avocado. I must try this one day! Pinned. =)

• Reply Renee Kohley September 15, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Great Jessica – let me know how you guys like it!

• Reply Jessica September 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I can’t wait to try this Renee! I can tolerate small amounts of raw egg, so I have been reserving that intake for mayo only. That said, I think my system may need a full egg re-set, so I’m super excited to try this one! Your photos are fantastic! 🙂

• Reply Renee Kohley September 15, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I am the same way Jessica – I can put raw yolk in my smoothies and maybe have one scrambled once a week but I can’t sit down to a plate of eggs every day at all. I hope this works out for you 🙂

• Reply REK981 September 16, 2014 at 11:03 am

Can I skip the sugar to go for more of a mayo and less Miracle whip flavor? My daughter LOVES mayo but not tangy.

• Reply Renee Kohley September 16, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Yes for sure. You may want to do a half tsp or something to help cut the tang of the lemon. I’m not sure what leaving out the lemon would do to the flavor. Maybe start out trying with just cutting back the sugar to half or so and see how you like it and tailor it from there 🙂

• Reply Jessica September 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Yeah! So glad you posted this. 🙂 I’ll be making this for the kids.

• Reply Renee Kohley September 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Let me know what they think Jess 🙂

• Reply Megan Stevens September 16, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I love the ingredients! And my son is egg-free. Thanks!!

• Reply Rachel @ day2dayjoys September 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Your photos make me what to lick the screen lol! Yum!

• Reply linda spiker September 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Beautiful post and so great for those with egg allergies!

• Reply Susanne Runion September 17, 2014 at 1:31 am

Renee, This looks really great. I usually make mayo with eggs but HATE that it only lasts 5 days. I love that this lasts so much longer. I am definitely going to try this.

• Reply Renee Kohley September 17, 2014 at 6:18 am

Hi Susanne! YES – I hate that too and I did end up wasting it sometimes because of that darn egg! Hope you enjoy this one!

• Reply Amber September 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hey!

I can’t have mustard, so what could you suggest???

Amber

• Reply Renee Kohley September 18, 2014 at 6:09 am

Hi Amber! Great question! Is it the vinegar in the mustard you can’t have, or the actual mustard seed you can’t have? If you can have vinegar I would add a couple small splashes of a good white wine vinegar or even apple cider vinegar. If you can’t have vinegar you can add a squeeze of lemon and about a tsp of dry ground mustard. I hope that helps! (You possibly could try just leaving it out all together and see how it tastes to you too!)

• Reply KD September 25, 2014 at 4:25 pm

made this today for coleslaw… you’d never know how absurdly easy this is to make by taste alone 😉 no more store bought mayo for me, ever.

• Reply Renee Kohley September 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Awesome 😉 That is exactly what I was going for 🙂

• Reply Marilyn September 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Can I leave the sweetener out completely? My husband is on a stricter diet than the autoimmune paleo protocol and all forms of added sweetener are banned.

• Reply Renee Kohley September 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hi Marilyn! Great question – and yes for sure. If you feel like there is too much tang (the sweet cuts the tang) then just back off on the lemon. You could possibly try stevia if that is allowed in his protocol. Let me know how it works out for you!

• Reply Sunday Snippets September 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm

[…] Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise from Raising Generation Nourished. This looks like a good egg-free recipe! […]

• Reply Homemade Mayonnaise Link Roundup | GAPS Diet Journey October 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

[…] Raising Generation Nourished: Simple Egg Free Mayonnaise […]

• Reply Erin December 7, 2014 at 5:03 pm

My son was recently diagnosed with an egg allergy and can no longer eat his favorite sandwich spreads. THANK YOU for this recipe – I am going to try it today!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Hi Erin! That’s great – totally makes my day 🙂

• Reply 7 Kitchen Staples To Stop Buying and Start Making - Live Simply December 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm

[…] Mayonnaise takes 5 minute to blend up in a pint jar. You can mix it up with shredded chicken or boiled eggs for chicken or egg salad, or spread it on tortillas for wraps. […]

• Reply Danielle January 28, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I made this with olive oil and I don’t recommend it. I used the mayo in some curry so it made it not so bad. The olive oil just overpowers the whole thing.

• Reply Laura P. March 4, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! 🙂
    I just made it & it’s very tasty. I can’t wait ’til hubby
    gets home to try it!

• Reply Renee Kohley March 4, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hi Laura! Thank you for coming back to let me know! I appreciate it and am so glad you guys are enjoying it!

• Reply Laura P. March 4, 2015 at 3:42 pm

P.S. I give this 5 stars!

• Reply karen March 13, 2015 at 7:33 am

I make similar to this recipe without sugar or sour cream or yogurt. It comes out not as thick but still delicious. Just another allergy-free option. But using sour cream sounds divine. I just wish my family wasn’t so darn allergic to everything! Oh, and if you add anchovies, garlic and parmesan cheese, you got egg free caesar salad! (I just add the parmesan cheese for me)

• Reply karen March 13, 2015 at 7:34 am

I meant, Caesar Salad Dressing….

• Reply Aubree Kraut March 25, 2015 at 11:46 am

Hi Renee!
    I am so looking forward to using this new mayo! Sam and I have been on the Trim Healthy Mama plan and I am going to work this in since I can’t have the store bought anymore. I am going to check my conversion chart and replace the cane sugar with Stevia because I can’t have sugar either, but I’m so excited to have an egg free version that my son with an egg allergy can have!

Aubree Kraut

• Reply Renee Kohley March 25, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Great Aubree! I think you will like it!

• Reply 6-Ingredient Easy Bacon Deviled Eggs - Live Simply March 25, 2015 at 2:03 pm

[…] 4 TB good-quality mayonnaise (or homemade) […]

• Reply Tuna Salad For All Ages! - Raising Generation Nourished March 29, 2015 at 1:33 pm

[…] cup – 1 cup mayonnaise (Amount depending on how you like the consistency of your tuna salad. Homemade preferable to avoid […]

• Reply Kevin March 30, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Can Greek yogurt be used instead of sour cream?

• Reply Renee Kohley March 30, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Hi Kevin! Yes that should work. The flavor will be a bit different but still good!

• Reply How to Stock a Real Food Fridge - Live Simply April 7, 2015 at 4:55 pm

[…] from my local health food store. My favorite sauces/condiments include: mustard, pickles, ketchup, mayo, salsa, salad dressing, sauerkraut, and sour cream. My favorite dips: sour cream and yogurt (for […]

• Reply Tami April 16, 2015 at 10:51 am

Hi there! I need help!!! I’m not Martha Stewart but I can get around the kitchen and homemade mayo is making me nuts. I made your recipe before…it was awesome. Then I tried another with egg from another blog just to try it out. A liquid mess…four times. So I tried yours today…liquid!!! Uugh! At this point I just want to be able to do it, we don’t even use mayo much! Is it supposed to be ground mustard? Any other thoughts?
    Thanks!

• Reply 6 School Lunch Ideas *Besides* Peanut Butter & Jelly! - Raising Generation Nourished April 26, 2015 at 6:02 am

[…] meat for the freezer in handful portions. This wrap was shredded chicken from the freezer, my own 5 minute mayo, lettuce, and tomato. I like these rice wraps or the Sami’s millet wraps (I get both at our […]

• Reply Linda May 5, 2015 at 8:41 am

Could you also list recipe for coconut yogurt

• Reply Kristine July 27, 2015 at 10:51 am

If anyone has made this, what type of mustard did you use; ground (dry), dijon or yellow? I want to make this later today but there’s no mention of mustard type in the recipe. Thanks 🙂

• Reply Renee Kohley July 27, 2015 at 10:55 am

Hi Kristine! Plain yellow mustard works great! I have used dijon as well when I have run out of yellow unknowingly and it works good too!

• Reply sheryl November 25, 2015 at 3:48 pm

How long will this keep in the fridge?

• Reply Renee Kohley November 25, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hi Sheryl! I let it go a little over a week – really as long as your sour cream is good you should be fine!

• Reply sheryl November 29, 2015 at 1:21 am

Thanks! I made it with coconut yogurt but it came out too liquidy – more like salad dressing. I made it in my Vitamix. It tasted good though! Any ideas why it didn’t come out thick?

• Reply Renee Kohley November 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hi Sheryl! Yes – the immersion blender will make the oil emulsify better than in a blender or food processor which is what thickens it. You can drizzle the oil in slowly into a food processor to emulsify but I’m not sure how to do that in a Vitamix. I’m glad you liked the taste 🙂

• Reply Denyse April 25, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Hi Renee,

I love this recipe, bless you for coming up with it. I was wondering if I put a tablespoon of Kefir whey into it, would it last longer?
    And how long would you recommend one should leave it to ferment on the counter after adding it. So far I have been keeping it as long as the sour cream expiration date is okay. But it is so wonderful I would like to extend the expiry date. Have you any thoughts on this. Thank you again. Denyse

• Reply Renee Kohley April 28, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hi Denyse! I think that would work actually. I would let it go over night and just check the smell and taste – it might need a couple days if it is cool in temperature where you live.