Batch Up Meals Breakfast Ideas Real Food Tips school lunches Snack Ideas

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar Free

June 13, 2015

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar FreeOne last fun recipe to use up that rhubarb, ok!?

My rhubarb just seems never ending this year – which I love! Usually rhubarb is thought of to use in desserts and other treats. We have a lot of fun enjoying our strawberry rhubarb creamsicles every May! But since I like to keep treats at a minimum with growing kids in the house, I usually try to come up with something different, but useful to use it up.

Last week the baby had me by the hand toddling around the yard and I noticed my rhubarb definitely wasn’t done producing like I thought it was! We picked the last handful together and I decided to make it a part of breakfast that week.

Granola seemed logical for the time of year, as we are headed into warm, muggy mornings here in the next few weeks. I love using granola cereals on those mornings so I’m not turning the stovetop on!

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar FreeI keep simple cinnamon granola stashed in the fridge for those mornings I don’t want to cook, and also this grain free granola to change things up a bit.

I know that rhubarb is often thought of paired with strawberries, but one of my favorite flavor profiles is actually honey and rhubarb. We get the most beautiful raw honey packed with amazing vitamins, minerals, enzymes, & antioxidants from a local farmer and the flavor is so amazing. And this mineral rich, sweet raw honey mixed up with tart rhubarb is a delicious start to your morning meal! Oh! And you can sub sour apples if you don’t have access to rhubarb!

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar FreeI would recommend using honey that you wouldn’t mind taking right off the spoon as you will taste it in the cereal. There are some local honeys around here with much stronger floral undertones that I don’t care for so just be sure you pick something you love!

We like to splash on raw milk or coconut milk and I usually have hard boiled pastured eggs on hand to serve alongside. It is a great summertime breakfast! It also works well to top yogurt or coconut yogurt!

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar FreeProduct links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

A quick note on the cook method! I love my simple dehydrator! You can use your dehydrator if you have one, and if you don’t, just bake it in the oven stirring every so often so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. See the recipe below for details.

Honey Rhubarb Granola :: Gluten, Egg, & Refined Sugar Free

• 3 cups oats (Not quick oats. If you are gluten free be sure they say gluten free oats like THESE)
  • 3 cups water
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 cups rhubarb, chopped (I just buzzed mine up quick in the food processor. If you don't have access to rhubarb try a similar flavor like green apples!
  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • ½ cup blanched almond flour
  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • ½ cup raw honey (I get mine from a local farmer. Check your farmer's markets and ask for deals for buying in bulk - I buy it by the 5 pounds. THIS is a good brand if you don't have any near you)
  • 1 TB vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  1. Put the oats, water, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl, combine, and set in a warm area over night or 8-12 hours. Strain off the water.
  2. While the oats are straining put the rest of the ingredients in your large mixing bowl, add in the strained oats, and stir to combine.
  3. Spread out on your dehydrator and dry out at 110 degrees 8-10 hours . When it is done break it apart into storage containers or freezer bags. I like to keep grains cool so they keep better so I store mine in the fridge or freezer especially if it is the summer. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can bake it in your oven around 300 degrees for an hour, just stir it around every so often so the bottom doesn't burn.

More real food recipes you might like ::
Simple Cinnamon Granola

16506590686_35070ceaf9_zGrain Free Granola

16191599854_87f2a07e67_z
Coconut Yogurt

16419987710_37ee931ca2_z
Morning Glory Muffins

16188172421_38bc4c7de4_zStrawberry Rhubarb Creamsicles

Strawberry Rhubarb Creamsicles

• Reply Jessica June 14, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Oh yum! Such a good idea.

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish June 14, 2015 at 7:57 pm

This sounds delicious! What a yummy idea.

• Reply carol June 15, 2015 at 3:27 pm

This looks great. I love the idea of adding rhubarb to granola. Thanks!

• Reply Ariana June 16, 2015 at 7:34 am

I love the idea of adding rhubarb to granola– definitely an unusual breakfast food, but I think it has such a great flavor, and like seeing such a creative use!

• Reply Jennifer at Purposeful Nutrition and The Entwife's Journal June 16, 2015 at 8:19 am

I have to try this. I have rhubarb in my; garden and don’t use it often. This looks really good. I am also pinning for later.

• Reply Sarah McLain June 16, 2015 at 9:16 am

So unique! I love all your special recipes 🙂 This one sounds yummy!

• Reply Sarah McLain June 16, 2015 at 9:16 am

So unique! I love all your special recipes 🙂 This one sounds yummy!

• Reply linda spiker June 16, 2015 at 10:01 am

Just pinned this yesterday! Sounds amazing:)

• Reply The Food Hunter June 16, 2015 at 10:51 am

I love making my own granola. Can’t wait to try this

• Reply Katie | The Antidote Life June 16, 2015 at 11:02 am

This is such a unique recipe – I love granola and rhubarb (Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is my favorite) so I cannot wait to try this! I love that it’s gluten-free too!

• Reply Marjorie June 16, 2015 at 11:34 am

I love this idea! I need to hunt down some rhubarb at the farmer’s market this weekend 🙂 Love that it is gluten-free.

• Reply Ashley June 21, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Can anything be used in place of rice flour?

• Reply Renee Kohley June 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hi Ashley! Yes you could use more almond flour, or sorghum flour works too. Or you could add more oats to the soaked oat mixture. I hope that helps!

• Reply Cranberry Walnut Granola Cereal September 18, 2015 at 6:27 am

[…] (You can check out my other granola flavors here: Simple Cinnamon Granola, Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Granola, Strawberry Quinoa Granola, Honey Rhubarb Granola) […]

• Reply Sheree October 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm

How long would it take to cook it in the oven?

• Reply Renee Kohley October 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hi Sheree! There are oven cooking instructions at the bottom of the recipe card – about 300 degrees for an hour should be good 🙂

• Reply 8 Homemade Granola Gift Ideas + Printable Gift Tags - Live Simply November 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm

[…] Honey Rhubarb Granola (soaked):  […]

• Reply Lisa September 10, 2016 at 11:47 am

This is currently in my oven half way done. I have to say I think it’s going to be a huge fail. Not sure what I did wrong, but it is supposed to be a big sloppy mess when you spread it on the cookie sheet? I’ve never made granola before from soaked oats, so this just looks like a big flat muffin. But not a GOOD big flat muffin. There is no way making this in the oven is going to make it dry and crunchy. What gives?

• Reply Renee Kohley September 10, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hi Lisa!

You have to give it time to dry out in the oven. Yes it will be all one big piece for a while. You will have to stir it and break it up along the way. As it cooks and drys out it will be easier to see how it will be like granola – give it enough time. Also it will harden more as it cools.

• Reply No Churn Honey Rhubarb Ice Cream - Raising Generation Nourished May 19, 2017 at 2:50 pm

[…] for making honey rhubarb granola, we make room for an occasional treat sometimes too! I use the honey rhubarb granola for end of the school year teacher gifts, and then stash at least 2-3 batches away for hot summer […]