Dinner Ideas Holiday Recipes Nourishing Staples Real Food 101 Real Food Tips

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!

November 2, 2015

You are no more than 5 minutes away from a delicious, velvety gravy made with nourishing bone broth for everything from meatball night to that Thanksgiving turkey!

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!This my friends is the icing on the cake….well, the gravy on the turkey (or chicken, or meatballs!). There is just something about the gravy that makes the meal feel complete!

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!It doesn’t have to be rocket science either. Making gravy for meatball night on a busy weekday, or that big Thanksgiving day turkey won’t take you more than 5 minutes.

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!I like to make my gravy while my roasted chicken or turkey is resting right out of the oven. You can use bone broth from the freezer or the meat stock from the pan. The beauty of this recipe is that even if you wanting to make it for meatballs and gravy night, you don’t need pan drippings. Any jar of bone broth in your freezer can become a sauce pan of gravy! And bonus! The gravy freezes very well so anything leftover won’t go to waste!

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!Product links in this section are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of β€œwhat brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.

5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options!

• 2 TB butter
  • 2-3 TB white rice flour OR if you are grain free use tapioca flour (the amount is dependent on how thick you like your gravy - you can start out low and always add more in the end if you want it thicker. If the gravy turns out thicker than you want you can always thin it out with more broth or even water)
  • 1 pint bone broth OR juices from the pan (Called meat stock. You can use a combo of both if you wish.)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • Sea salt/pepper to taste (I don't season my bone broth so I pretty heavily season the salt here)
  1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the flour, and stir with a whisk to combine.
  2. Add the bone broth and thyme and bring to a simmer stirring with your whisk occasionally until it thickens.
  3. Season salt and pepper to taste and serve. This will refrigerate and reheat stovetop well (up to 4 days in advance), or you can freeze it for months.

For more real food dinner ideas, you can check out my Dinner Ideas board on Pintrest!

More real food recipes you might like:
Homemade Gluten Free Stuffing
Slow Roasted Pastured Chicken
How Make A Simple Beef Roast

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup for any Casserole!

• Reply Homemade Cranberry Sauce - Raising Generation Nourished November 2, 2015 at 8:20 pm

[…] Bone Broth Gravy […]

• Reply 40+ Grain Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes! | Oh Snap! Let's Eat! November 2, 2015 at 10:03 pm

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy […]

• Reply Megan Stevens November 8, 2015 at 11:22 am

Yes, please! This looks ethereal! Sharing, pinning etc!

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish November 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

This looks so yummy! We are huge bone broth gravy lovers in my home. Pinned.

• Reply Stacey November 10, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Renee, this is so awesome ! Sharing πŸ™‚

• Reply Anya November 11, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Your ‘About Me” page got me. Well, and this gravy recipe too. But mostly your “About Me” page. I too, hope and pray that my children will grow up to be innovators and life-changers of the world…not to succumb to the status-quo and follow what the world teaches about nutrition or anything else for that matter. I want them to live to the best potential that they are designed to live up to. Blessings, Renee. I follow you on Instagram and always look forward to what you will be posting. I have a child who will turn a teen this week…teaching him the true value of nutrition is so important to me. Thankfully, I {think} he gets it…for the most part. The rest is grace. πŸ™‚

• Reply Renee Kohley November 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Anya! Thank you for your kind words! I think he is probably soaking in more than you think πŸ™‚ At least that is what I am hopeful for in my kids when I don’t know if they are listening! Thank you for commenting and following! It is a blessing to me as well!

• Reply 100+ Gluten Free Thanksgiving Recipes - Recipes to Nourish November 12, 2015 at 6:05 am

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply Tash November 12, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I bet this bone broth gravy has so much flavor! Looks delicious!

• Reply The Food Hunter November 12, 2015 at 3:05 pm

this looks amazing…nice and thick

• Reply Lindsey Dietz November 12, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I’m a Southern girl, so this is right up my alley!

• Reply linda spiker November 12, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Love this so much! Pinned to multiple boards and shared! It’s juts too good not to!

• Reply Elaina Newton November 13, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Ahh, I love homemade gravy – and it’s so easy to make! I think it has the best flavor when you use pan drippings, but it’s still really good with homemade broth + butter and seasonings. πŸ™‚

• Reply 20+ Paleo Thanksgiving Side Dishes! - Life Made Full November 15, 2015 at 9:09 am

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply 70+ Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes - Rubies & Radishes November 16, 2015 at 4:45 pm

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply A Real Food Thanksgiving Recipes Roundup - Oh Lardy November 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy from Raising Generation Nourished […]

• Reply Tara November 20, 2015 at 3:28 am

Would coconut oil or olive/avocado oil work in place of the butter? I know butter probably tastes fabulous, but wondering if it can be subbed.

• Reply Renee Kohley November 23, 2015 at 7:36 am

Hi Tara! I have not tried either but coconut oil will definitely change the flavor. If I couldn’t have butter I would use ghee – which takes the milk solids out, or just leave it out completely – which I have done before and it is still very good πŸ™‚ I hope that helps!

• Reply Lauren November 23, 2015 at 12:55 am

Yes, I’m curious too! I tried earth balance butter last year, and it did not work…. But my dad was saying he uses oils for other gravies and it works great.

• Reply Renee Kohley November 23, 2015 at 7:39 am

Hi Lauren! I would use ghee if you can’t have butter. Earth Balance is soy derived and is not a real food so I would imagine it doesn’t work very well! I would consider the ghee if you can’t have milk, or just simply leave out the butter which I have done before and it is still very delicious πŸ™‚ I hope that helps!

• Reply Leah T February 12, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Thank you for the quick and delicious recipe! I was always intimidated by gravy and only ever make it on thanksgiving. Not anymore! My son said it was the best mashed potatoes and gravy he’s ever eaten. Thank you for making me look like a rock star at the dinner table tonight!

• Reply Renee Kohley February 13, 2016 at 1:37 pm

That is so great Leah! You’re welcome! So glad everyone enjoyed it πŸ™‚

• Reply Real Food Gluten-Free Flour 101: My Guide To Gluten-Free Baking - Live Simply May 5, 2016 at 11:51 pm

[…] cookies and pancakes, a soft, gluten feel. White rice flour is also the flour I like to use to make gluten free gravy. The end product feels just like a gravy made with a gluten-based […]

• Reply 15 Delicious Ideas For How To Use Bone Broth November 7, 2016 at 9:15 am

[…] Thanksgiving classic just got a little healthier with this recipe from Raising Generation Nourished. This 5-minute gravy with bone broth contains collagen – one of the many beneficial elements […]

• Reply Seasonal Thanksgiving Holiday Recipes – Real Food and Grain Free Paleo September 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm

[…] 5 Minute Bone Broth Gravy :: Gluten & Grain Free Options! from Raising Generation Nourished. […]

• Reply karen October 13, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Hello Renee
    I am following a Keto way of eating, would Almond or Coconut flour work the same as the White Rice/Tapioca flour?
    It looks amazing by the way.

• Reply Renee Kohley October 21, 2017 at 9:10 am

Hi Karen! I have tried grain free flours for broth and only tapioca and cassava work well – which will probably be to starchy if you are following Keto. The almond flour and coconut just don’t thicken it – it will be grainy.