Turn those roast beef leftovers into delicious, juicy BBQ shredded beef sandwiches in just minutes!
We celebrated a birthday in the house this past week!
Man, I tell ya – this is the coolest age. I love and miss my babies, but THIS age…Oh! You can have a conversation with this age. You can watch their amazing interests and talents develop in this age. And sweet mommas…you can reason with this age! I am very cool with making it through the toddler and preschooler years with this one in particular 🙂
Birthday week means a little extra prep needing to happen for party time, and I love to plan quick and easy dinners during those weeks. Nourishing and nutrient dense in less time is the name of my game on party weeks!
These barbeque shredded beef sandwiches also happen to be one of my birthday girl’s favorite dinners, so it really works out well! They are kid friendly in heat – in fact they are quite mild, but you can definitely pop the heat up with extra smoky chipotle or just straight heat with cayenne if you want.
We enjoyed a delicious Sunday beef roast dinner, and I just made sure we had a good sized roast so there were some leftovers enough to make the BBQ beef. This prep goes so fast, you could almost make the BBQ shredded beef the evening you make your roast and just pack it away to warm through the next day. Just fix a salad for the side, and maybe cook up some sliced potatoes for homemade potato chips, and you have just made a 5 year old’s day with a super yummy dinner!
The serving possibilities are endless really. We love using Sami’s gluten free millet buns or these super quick gluten free pitas, but I actually end up serving them over baked potatoes quite often and it is just delicious. You can serve the BBQ beef in any wrap, bread, bun you like to use.
If you love to make your own breads here are a few I found for you to try!
Grain Free & Gluten Free Options:
Soft & Fluffy Plantain Buns (AIP/Paleo) from The Curious Coconut
Grain Free Hamburger Buns from Deliciously Organic
Grain Free Plantain Sandwich Rounds from Delicious Obsessions
Paleo Burger Buns from A Calculated Whisk
Grain Free Rolls from Against All Grain
Soft Gluten Free Hamburger Buns from Petite Allergy Treats
Einkorn/Wheat Based Breads:
Whole Grain (Einkorn Flour) Hamburger Buns from Live Simply
No Knead Einkorn Sourdough Bread from Nourished Kitchen
Light & Fluffy Einkorn Dinner Rolls from Don’t Waste The Crumbs
Sourdough Hamburger Buns from Eat Real Stay Sane
Easy Homemade Buns from We Got Real
Bread Recipes Round-Up from Common Sense Homestead
- 2 TB friendly fat to cook in such as butter, lard, coconut oil, etc
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups leftover grassfed beef from a roast, shredded
- ½ cup organic ketchup
- 1½ TB blackstrap molasses
- 2 TB organic mustard
- 2 tsp raw honey (pure maple syrup or sucanat would work too)
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder (You can add more if you like more heat)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 TB of leftover roast juices, bone broth, or water
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- Warm a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 TB of butter, and add in the onion with a pinch of sea salt. Cook the onion over medium heat for a few minutes until it softens and sweetens.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, combine, and cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Serve on buns or wraps of your choice. It is also great over white rice, or if you are grain free it is delicious over a baked potato!
For more real food dinner ideas, you can follow my Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest!
More real food ideas you might like: