Product links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site! Please know I would never personally recommend any product I wouldn’t use on my own family.
Real Food Summer Picnic Series :: Pasta Salad :: Grain, Egg, Nut, Dairy Free
Author: Renee - www.raisinggenerationnourished.com
- 4 summer squash, spirilized or julienne peeled
- 2-3 zucchini, spirilized or julienne peeled
- 3 cups cherry and/or heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ½ cup grated organic parmesan cheese (if you are dairy free use goat cheese or just omit)
- 1 TB good olive oil
- 2 TB organic white wine vinegar
- 1 TB Italian dressing season (See Tips section for this mix – so quick!)
- Sprinkle some sea salt all over the spirilized summer squash and zucchini, combine, and then put them in a large strainer for about 10 minutes. The salt draws out all the liquid in the squashes and makes the texture “noodle” like! You can help the process along by gently pressing to squeeze out the liquid, and/or dab with a towel.
- While the squashes are draining, whisk up the olive oil, vinegar, and Italian dressing seasoning, and get the green onions chopped and parm grated.
- Put the drained squash “noodles in a large serving bowl, and add in the green onion, parm, and the whisked up dressing. Combine and serve!
- HERE is the Italian Dressing season mix – this is not Italian seasoning – this mix is what I use to make Italian dressing and it is just delicious! You will love it!
- This amount makes up enough for my family to eat at 2-3 meals. Double up if you are bringing it for a crowd.
- Be sure to check out the spirilizer! You can make noodles out of sweet potatoes, carrots, etc in addition to the zucchini! If you want to start out smaller the julienne peeler works fantastic too and I used it for years. The veggie noodles are a great size for little hands and little mouths to handle.
- You can certainly use regular pasta instead of, or in addition to, the “zoodles” if you wish!
- Make this one up ahead of time! Flavors will only get better as they sit in the fridge!
- Looking for more summer picnic staples done in a real food way? I’ve got you covered! This summer make up some potato salad, baked beans, BBQ sauce, chicken salad, and coleslaw too!