Batch Up Meals Breakfast Ideas Holiday Recipes Real Food Tips School Holidays Snack Ideas

Cranberry Orange Granola

November 4, 2015

Sweet orange vanilla infused granola decorated with festive cranberries makes a fun breakfast cereal bowl, or topping for a yogurt snack!

Cranberry Orange Granola

We have the most beautiful fall so far! We were spoiled with unseasonably warm 70 degree temperatures this week, and I couldn’t help but open the windows and soak in as much sun warmth as I could, knowing that in just a few short weeks we will be shoveling snow instead of raking up leaves!

Cranberry Orange Granola

With the holidays around the corner, my husband brought home this huge bag of fresh cranberries from Costco one day thinking we could get a head start on shopping for Thanksgiving. I don’t think we could ever eat a Costco sized bag portion of cranberry sauce, so I was excited to play with some new recipes to use up those pretty cranberries.

Cranberry Orange Granola

Since we have had a fairly busy fall so far, I thought we could use some quick morning breakfasts with some granola that also doubles as a great yogurt topper for school snacktime or toddler snacks.

Cranberry Orange Granola

This granola turned out so pretty and festive I’m actually storing it away to pack into some mason jars for teacher gifts!

Cranberry Orange Granola

Cranberry Orange Granola

• 10 cups oats
  • 4 cups raw pumpkin seeds, (raw sunflower seeds would work too)
  • 4 cups raw pecans (raw walnuts or raw almonds
  • would work too. I get all of these nuts in the linked Kirkland brand at Costco)
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 TB sea salt
  • 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • ½ cup avocado oil (melted butter or coconut oil would work too)
  • Juice and zest of 5 oranges
  • ½ cup raw honey (pure maple syrup or organic pure cane sugar or coconut sugar would work too)
  • 1 TB vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1½ cups dried cranberries (I get fresh and dried cranberries at Costco - the linked dried brand is what I get at Costco)
  1. Pulse the pumpkin seeds and pecans in a food processor to the sized bits you want in your granola (you could chop with a knife too). I keep mine on the smaller side since I have little ones eating it - you can leave bigger chunks if you prefer.
  2. Put the oats, chopped nuts and seeds, the lemon juice, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl and fill with water until it just covers the mixture. Set the bowl in a warm spot in your kitchen to soak for 8 hours. This soaking process breaks down the phytic acid in the grain, nut, and seeds for better digestion. It also makes their nutrients more available to absorb.
  3. After soaking, put the oat, nut, and seed mixture in a strainer to drain while you put the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl or stockpot to mix. Add the drained oat/nut/seed mixture and combine the entire granola mixture well.
  4. Spread the granola mixture over your dehydrator trays (I use this one) and dehydrate at 135 degrees 8-12 hours until dry. You could bake this in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour or so just stir the mixture every half hour to ensure it gets completely dried out.

For more real food breakfast ideas, you can follow my Breakfast Ideas board on Pinterest!

More real food recipes you might like:

Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Granola

16506590686_35070ceaf9_z

Strawberry Quinoa Granola

Strawberry Quinoa Granola

School Morning Breakfast Menu Routines

Our School Morning Breakfast Menu & A *FREE* Printable Menu For YOU!

Simple Cinnamon Granola

16191599854_87f2a07e67_z

• Reply Jessica November 9, 2015 at 3:25 pm

This looks yummy and beautiful!!!

• Reply Emily @ Recipes to Nourish November 9, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Oh my goodness those fall photos! So beautiful + that photo of Cait is priceless. So dear. Your granola sounds amazing too. Pinned.

• Reply linda spiker November 10, 2015 at 9:45 am

Beautiful recipe Renee! I love the combination of cranberry and orange!

• Reply karen November 10, 2015 at 9:48 am

Love homemade granola! Will have to come up with something to substitute oat to make it Paleo.

• Reply Renee Kohley November 10, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Karen just use more nuts and seeds – even add some coconut flour to make it grain free. Granola is pretty forgiving – it all dries out the same πŸ™‚

• Reply Tash November 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This is such perfect timing! I have oats running out of my ears and my fiance LOVES granola. This recipe sounds perfect! <3

• Reply Megan Stevens November 10, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Oh delightful goodness! This looks lovely, Renee!

• Reply Rachel November 11, 2015 at 12:16 am

Yummmmmm, I could just add a little more this n’ that to make it grain-free…

• Reply Renee Kohley November 11, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Hi Rachel! Absolutely – have you seen my Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Granola? Just follow the base of that and you should be good!

• Reply The Food Hunter November 11, 2015 at 10:08 am

nice to see all the fall leaves…we don’t get that here in Arizona

• Reply Elaina Newton November 12, 2015 at 12:39 pm

This sounds so yummy (and easy)! Pecans are one of my favorite nuts, so this recipe is a winner in my book. Will have to try it soon. Maybe I’ll make a batch to bring to my sister’s for Thanksgiving. Love your colorful fall pictures, too!

• Reply May November 17, 2015 at 8:05 am

Such a lovely recipe, my hubby would love this.

• Reply 8 Homemade Granola Gift Ideas + Printable Gift Tags - Live Simply November 21, 2015 at 1:09 pm

[…] Cranberry-Orange GranolaΒ (soaked) […]

• Reply Libby Gontarz November 21, 2015 at 2:50 pm

This looks and sounds delicious, but I have to tell you I was so distracted by the size of that gorgeous tree in your fall collage. Holy cow! I had no idea it could be so big until I noticed the playhouse and child at the bottom. I am amazed. It is so beautiful. What kind of tree is it? ( remember large trees from my childhood in another state, but I don’t think any were this tall. I have lived in southern Arizona for all my adult life.)

• Reply Renee Kohley November 21, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hi Libby! That is our big beautiful maple tree πŸ™‚

• Reply Sandy November 24, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Made the granola recipe today and after 12 hours in the dehydrator the cranberries are still plump and juicy. Is this ok to leave like this in the granola mix or should I dehydrate the cranberries completly?

Thank you!

• Reply Renee Kohley November 25, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hi Sandy! If those cranberries were really fresh they may need a little longer – dry them as far as you want – I left some of mine still plump πŸ™‚

• Reply Swarna December 3, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Hi Renee,

I bought the NOW brand pumpkin seeds from Amazon using the link under ingredients. After the pack arrived, I saw that it was product of China, but processed in USA. Is your pack made in China too? I am not too comfortable eating pumpkin seeds grown in China when we have several pumpkin patches in the U.S. I had a coworker who spent one year in China and told us how bad their soil was treated. I am sending these back to Amazon. I found a pack in our local Whole Foods, which was grown in USA πŸ™‚

I can’t wait to try out this recipe. It sounds sooo delish with flavors of fresh orange juice and cranberries!

• Reply stacy April 5, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Just discovered your site and love it! How long does the granola keep for?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 6, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Hi Stacy! Welcome!

The granola should be fine for a good month or 2 in an airtight container. I pop some in the freezer or fridge if I don’t think I will use it that fast.