Batch Up Meals Cold & Flu Season Instant Pot Nourishing Staples Real Food 101 Real Food Tips Soup

Instant Pot Bone Broth

February 3, 2016

Instant Pot Bone Broth :: Learn how to use *any* bones to make fast, nourishing bone broth with your Instant Pot!

Links in this post are affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

This has been a game changer friends!

Honestly I have spent years without thought simmering my bone broth stovetop or through the night in a slow cooker. It has become such second nature that when I started hearing about people using their pressure cookers to make bone broth in just a couple hours I sort of skimmed right past. I had my “routine”. My method.

And with a house full of kids, autopilot is crucial to my daily flow!

I wasn’t convinced I would switch making my bone broth to my Instant Pot when I received it last fall. Because it is smaller than what I typically make bone broth in, I couldn’t see myself making bone broth more frequently to equal the amount I was making once a month in my slow cooker, huge stockpot, or oven roaster.

And then this year happened! Busier school and homework schedules, an added preschool schedule to the elementary routine, a book deal & daily blog work, and a feisty toddler have really dwindled my kitchen hours down.

I have to be smart about my kitchen time.

And the Instant Pot helps me do that. Bone broth can be made so hands free and fast. There is no planning out to remember to turn off the slow cooker – or planning to be home while the stockpot on the stove simmers for hours and hours. And the gel! Oh that glorious, nourishing gel is still there as well as all the maintained properties of properly prepared bone broth!

If you are new to bone broth, this recipe is for you! You can’t find a more nourishing, power packed food – period! If you have never read “Broth Is Beautiful”, I highly recommend it so you can fully understand what amazing food you are making!

If you are a seasoned bone broth foodie, this recipe is for you too! If your little heart pitter patters every time you get to use your stock pot to make something amazing…don’t worry. You don’t have to retire your beloved pot! Use your Instant Pot to your advantage when your time is short. Leverage your kitchen time – you will have more bone broth on hand to make those amazing slow cooked soups at the stove 😉

A quick note on the bones!

Rich, flavorful broth comes from bones that have been cooked, so if you happen to pick up bones from your farmer at the market (sometimes called beef soup bones, or marrow bones), or you have a load of bones from ordering a half or whole cow or pig, or from that big deer hunt, just give those raw bones a quick roast before using them for broth. I typically just toss them on a sheet pan and roast them at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. If you are making a beef roast or whole chicken in the Instant Pot, you can just toss the bones right back into the IP after you strip the meat for your broth making! So easy!

Instant Pot Bone Broth

• Cooked bones/carcass of chicken (learn how to do a whole chicken in your IP HERE!), cow, deer, turkey, pig etc depending on what you have (I like about half of the pot to be bones/carcass. You can freeze whatever bones don't fit for another time.)
  • 1-2 chicken feet (optional depending on if you have access - it gives really good gel to the broth. Ask your chicken farmer for them!)
  • 1-2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
  • 2-3 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
  • 1 head of garlic, smashed
  • 1-2 TB apple cider vinegar
  • Water enough to cover the bones
  1. Put the bones into the pot first followed by the veggies, garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Fill the pot with water to cover the bones - be sure you don't go over the "Max" line on the pot.
  2. Let the pot sit for about 30 minutes without any heat to let the apple cider vinegar pull the minerals from the bones.
  3. Put the Instant Pot lid on and turn the vent valve to closed. Push "Soup" and use the manual button to bring the time up to 120 minutes.
  4. The pot will turn "On" automatically and will take about 20 minutes to come to pressure before the 120 minutes starts counting down.
  5. After the 120 minutes of pressure cooking is done, turn the Instant Pot off and leave it be to naturally release about 15 minutes before opening the vent valve and straining your broth.

For more Instant Pot recipes, you can follow my Instant Pot Recipes board on Pinterest!

More real food recipes you might like:
Instant Pot Whole Chicken

How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals From Soups, Wraps, Salads, & Stir Frys!
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Stew

Instant Pot Italian Sausage Stew
15 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup

15 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup PLUS! How To Make Chips Out Of Any Tortilla & A Kid Friendly {Mild} Guacamole!
French Onion Soup

15016941857_e2b658e95d_z
Fresh Tomato Soup

14343512918_9451ba85c1_z

• Reply How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken for FAST Healthy Meals - Raising Generation Nourished February 3, 2016 at 6:44 am

[…] – they actually get busier! And being able to stock up on nourishing pastured chicken and bone broth so quickly is so […]

• Reply Carol Foster May 24, 2016 at 11:15 am

Renee: I am making my second batch of bone broth now in my IP. This is such a great recipe. Both times i have forgotten to let it sit 30 mins with the vinegar (next time) and I have left out the vegetables, but it is still fabulous. Thanks for the recipe. Bone broth has so many health benefits, and at this time I have a fussy 18 year old male cat that gets a lot of this each day as he needs the fluids and the nutrients. Thanks again.

• Reply Sam September 26, 2016 at 9:08 am

Hi! I made bone broth last night following your advice with my instant pot – I’m a beginner! I THINK it turned out the way it should but I’m confused about the gel, this is new to me. There seems to be quite a bit – and I’m not sure what to do with it. I also am not sure how to tell the difference between gel and fat – and if I should skim the fat off of the broth (this makes sense as I put the fat drippings from the roasted bones in with the broth…. not sure if that’s ideal, I just happen to be one of those “fat is good” people 🙂

All this said, THANK YOU for making such a welcoming page and easy to follow tutorial. You made it VERY easy to follow even for instant pot AND broth novices like me!

• Reply Renee Kohley October 1, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Sam! The gel is good! Your bones must have been full of collagen! Great! You will see the fat rise to the top after it cools in the fridge. The bone broth will “melt” once heated and used for soup or whatever you are using it for! You can skim the fat off before you cook – I tend to skim it off and save it for cooking or frying. I hope that helps!

• Reply Jessica February 8, 2016 at 8:07 pm

I love doing bone broth in my IP. Great tutorial.

• Reply Rebecca February 17, 2016 at 10:44 pm

After straining, you can put the broth back in the pot again and sautee until it is reduced in volume for concentrated broth. This is great to save freezer room. You can reduce up to 75 percent. Once I reduced until it was. Like thick caramel and then I froze. One little ice cube of that is good for four cups of water.

• Reply Kelly August 8, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Great tip, thanks!

• Reply Quick and Easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup - Live Simply March 6, 2016 at 8:45 am

[…] to make the leap into making bone broth, your Instant Pot will be your best friend. You can make bone broth in the Instant Pot very […]

• Reply Holly March 17, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Time to buy an InstaPot! I keep coming across recipes for using it. How many quarts are you able to make out of one batch? Do you ever run the bones through a second time?

• Reply Renee Kohley March 17, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Hi Holly! I get about 2 quarts from one round and when I do beef bones yes I do 2 rounds. The chicken bones are pretty small so just one round on those. I hope that helps!

• Reply Kimberly April 2, 2016 at 5:09 pm

The 8qt was just released from IP so if you are thinking of ordering one now is the time to jump on board! Mine just came this morning and I’ve already got a batch of bone broth going!

• Reply Renee Kohley April 4, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Great Kimberly!

• Reply Dick May 2, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Hi Kimberly,
      You said you got your new 8 quart IP in April. I can’t find where that’s available, any chance you could tell me where you got yours.
      Thanks
      Dick

• Reply Kathy Huffman May 4, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I saw your question & thought I’d answer you. You can get the 8 quart on Amazon, last I saw they were around $180. Right now they are out of stock, supposed to be back the end of May. Or you could get 2 6 quarts for a bit more, the DUO is around $114 & the LUX is usually $80. The LUX is only high pressure, no option for low pressure & does not have the yogurt function that the DUO has. I have the 6 quart DUO (7 in 1 model) & I love it!

• Reply Thalia April 4, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I’m going to make the whole chicken in my IP and as suggested use those bones for the broth. Do you reuse the vegetables from the whole chicken recipe or add new fresh vegetables? I’m assuming that adding fresh vegetables will probably give the broth more flavor, but just wondering what you do since I’m new to bone broth. Also, you mentioned you can make the broth from deer bones. Have you ever done that? If so, how did you like the flavor? Was it gamey?

• Reply Renee Kohley April 6, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Hi Thalia! I do usually add some fresh veg to the pot for making the broth. Deer bone broth is not as gamey as you might think – and I am actually a little sensitive to gamey taste since I didn’t grow up on a lot of hunted meat. I have made it a few times in the past and have found I do like to mix the deer bones with something like a beef marrow bone or two or some chicken bones just to give it a little more depth of flavor. I tend to use more veggies as well. I don’t think it is overly gamey but it can be if you don’t use enough veggies. Does that help?

• Reply Elizabeth May 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

What do you use the bone broth for? Do you eat/drink it as is or add to recipe?

• Reply Renee Kohley May 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Hi Elizabeth! You can drink it from a mug with a little sea salt and you can add it to recipes as water or broth in a recipe or soups and stews as the broth.

• Reply Georgia Mackey May 9, 2016 at 8:45 pm

After an hour in my pressure cooker the marrow was soft but still in the bone. Should I scoop it out and scrape the meat off the bones and cook a little longer? Will it be all right without the marrow? What can I do with the leftover bones?

• Reply Renee Kohley May 14, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Hi Georgia! Sure! You can use the marrow and then doing another “round” of broth with fresh water with the bones – marrow bones are so thick and large I very often do 2 rounds of broth on them.

• Reply Laurelrae May 21, 2016 at 11:24 am

Your broth is so gellateous that I am jealous (just kidding). But I used 2 roasted chicken remains, 2 raw feet, 1 raw neck and the veggies but no gel. Filled Instant Pot to fill line with water. Did the 30 minutes of acv as well. What can I do to get your lovely gelatin?

• Reply Renee Kohley May 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hi Laurelrae! Sometimes my gel is more than other times, and there just isn’t a rhyme or reason to it I have found – you sound like you are doing everything great so you are getting all of the nutrients I assure you! This is the gel I get from beef bones – thick marrow bones give off this thick gel – I rarely get this sort of gel with chicken bones even if I do use the feet!

• Reply Lael May 26, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hey! Why do the bones have to be cooked? Isn’t it more time consuming, inconvenient and expensive to have to cook the bones first with all the ingredients you have above then wash those dishes and then buy more broth ingredients to add to the cooked bones you will then put into the IP?? Why not just make the broth when you’re cooking the bones the first time around? You will save so much more money and time. Please tell me I miss read this!

• Reply Renee Kohley May 29, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I Lael! The flavor of beef broth will be richer and taste better when the bones are roasted. When I do a whole chicken in the IP I save the juices left behind (called meat stock – it is a little different in nutrient value than bone broth but still very good to use), and then I use the bones to make bone broth. Does that make sense?

• Reply Instant Pot Spring Vegetable Soup - Raising Generation Nourished June 3, 2016 at 8:24 pm

[…] than bone broth and an occasional whole chicken on a busy week, my Instant Pot has gathered some dust over the […]

• Reply April June 16, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I’m excited to try this, I have a whole chicken in the deep freezer that I need to cook. Just to clarify, do you use the liquid leftover from cooking the whole chicken to make your broth? And then just add water until it’s filled enough?

• Reply Renee Kohley June 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Hi April! The leftover liquid after making your chicken is called meat stock – different than bone broth but it is still nourishing and you can save it for soups, stews, or cooking in – it’s like free broth! And then you can put the chicken carcass back in the pot with fresh water and make your bone broth. I hope that helps!

• Reply Samantha Tolosa-Zenklusen June 27, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I am using the book Superfood for Babies to make broth for my 6 month old and I am wondering if you use this recipe for the broth you fed your babies since it contains ingredients other than just the bones, water and vinegar that the book says to use. When I made broth for myself during pregnancy I followed a recipe similar to yours here. Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley June 27, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hi Samantha! I didn’t change my method or ingredients when feeding my babies their broth. You can make it how you feel most comfortable!

• Reply 8 Supplements for Gut Health | Stephanie Tyler, ND July 27, 2016 at 12:48 pm

[…] Broth Here’s a great recipe for the Instant Pot so you can make your […]

• Reply Melissa August 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm

This look so simple, and oh my that gelatinous goodness! I just ordered my Instant Pot, can’t wait to try this out!

• Reply Erna August 16, 2016 at 1:34 am

Should I not use the “meat stock” from my whole chicken for the bone broth? You said it’s nutrients are different…

• Reply Renee Kohley August 18, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Definitely save it Erna! It still has some gelatin to it and some minerals – just not as loaded as bone broth. It is tasty and works well for soups, gravies, stir frys etc! And it’s free! 🙂

• Reply Rebecca Withers September 17, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Where did you find the “Broth is Beautiful”. Looked on Amazon and didn’t find it. Can you give us more info on it?

• Reply 12 Incredible Paleo Instant Pot Recipes - Happy Body Formula September 21, 2016 at 10:33 pm

[…] You want your bone broth to gel every time? This recipe is it. The Instant Pot makes it easy to get an awesome final result every time. It takes just 1.5 hours from start to finish, and the flavor is out of this world. The pressure cooking allows you to use far less veggie scraps than you would in a slow-cooker or stovetop recipe. You’ll never make broth any other way. Get the recipe from Raising Generation Nourished. […]

• Reply Jess September 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I just used the meat broth (was just water and spices) from cooking the whole chicken and added additinal water and new aromatics. Is this ok or is there a reason NOT to do it? Thanks!

• Reply Renee Kohley October 1, 2016 at 9:26 am

Hi Jess! Yes you can use that! It is called meat stock and has it’s own benefits as well – I tend to strain the meat stock off from cooking a chicken and use that just like broth in recipes – free broth 🙂

• Reply Anna Semenova September 28, 2016 at 11:36 am

I found an interesting recipe that uses bone broth for making a desert. It is called “Lemon Calf’s Feet Jelly”. I gave it a try and it turned out good.

• Reply Melanie October 12, 2016 at 9:20 am

I am new to the Instant Pot, and new to bone broth, and I’m giving this a try! I have a ton of bones left from the 1/2 beef we purchased. When I took my bones out of the freezer and unwrapped them, I noticed that my beef bones are very meaty. Will the meat burn in the 45 minute roast? Are your bones meaty? How do you think I should proceed?

• Reply Renee Kohley October 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Hi Melanie! My bones are typically not meaty but I have purchased some with meat before. You could still roast them at that temp but pull the meat off after 20-30 minutes if you wish! Or you could slow cook in a crockpot for the day. I hope that helps!

• Reply Linda M. McNees October 18, 2016 at 8:01 am

Love this recipe! My husband will be deer hunting soon. Which part of the deer good for bone broth? Anything I should avoid…say just use the leg bones and pass on the neck? Looks like you add beef or chicken along with deer so I will keep that in mind as well. Using instant pot so assume I need to cut bones small enough to fit in 6 qt pot. Thanks for reply and wisdom experience.

• Reply 34 AIP Offal Recipes (a/k/a Organ Meat) October 18, 2016 at 10:03 am

[…] Instant Pot Bone Broth with Chicken Feet (Raising Generation Nourished) […]

• Reply 3 Shortcuts for Making Beef Bone Broth (video recipe) | Back To The Book Nutrition October 31, 2016 at 11:16 am

[…] If you're pressed for time, you can make bone broth in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Check out this detailed tutorial for making beef bone broth in around 3 hours. […]

• Reply 47 Healthy Instant Pot Holiday Recipes {pressure cooker, too!} November 14, 2016 at 5:01 am

[…] Instant Pot Bone Broth […]

• Reply Rhonda November 17, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I make bone broth for my pups too, and they love it. Today, I’ve had chicken bone broth in the crockpot for about 24 hours, and will probably leave it another 4-6. This morning, I used your recipe (minus the onions since they are toxic to dogs) to start an Instant Pot full of beef bones (with a couple of pork neck bones tossed in). Normally, these larger bones would take about 48 hours in the crockpot, but today, they will be finished in under 2. Doing the happy dance!! Thank you! Once cooled, I like to freeze the broth in ice cube trays so that I can pull out however much or little I need at any given time… or give them to the pups as summertime “pupscicle” treats.

I also use a strainer in my Instant Pot so that I can simply remove the strainer containing the bones and veggies when the broth is done. 🙂

For the pups, I strain out the vegetables and save them to use in my next batch of homemade dog food. For people, I sometimes leave the veggies in the broth and emulsify them to make a thicker, stronger veggie flavor to use in a variety of dishes. So many great options!! And, to all of the pup-lovers out there… please don’t feed the left-over cooked bones to your pups, as cooked bones can easily splinter and cause internal damage. <3

• Reply Renee Kohley November 18, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for the tips Rhonda!

• Reply Terry Duntley January 8, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Rhonda, what a wonderful idea to make “pupscicle treats” out of bone broth for the summer! I love to come up with great ideas to include our furry britches!

• Reply Lynne November 24, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I made this recipe, but my beef broth is really watery. What do you think went wrong. I even bought chicken feet and put two in. Help!

• Reply Renee Kohley November 27, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Hi Lynne! Did it gel up a bit after it was refrigerated? It will be thin when warm but will gel up when refrigerated. There are times I don’t get a gel on my bone broth and it doesn’t mean you did something wrong – there just might have been more water than collagen in the bones used. If you soaked your bones in the ACV before the heat you can be sure your bone broth has all the minerals and is very nourishing!

• Reply Jennifer December 27, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Hi 🙂
    I’m new to instant pot and excited to make broth from my Christmas turkey carcass!! I normally do it on the stove top or slow cooker.
    I’ve never done the vinegar before – I only have malt and white vinegars on hand. Can I use one of them or should I hold off until I buy some ACV?
    Thanks!

• Reply Jennifer December 27, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Oh – I also have balsamic vinegar on hand!

• Reply Renee Kohley December 28, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Hi Jessica! White vinegar will work! You just need an acid medium to break down the bones to pull out the minerals! Even straight wine works or lemon juice!

• Reply Ellen December 29, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Would you use vinegary kombucha as the vinegar to break down the bones?

• Reply Renee Kohley December 30, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I have never heard of doing this Ellen, but it makes sense that it would work!

• Reply Amy January 1, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I tried this today but think by beef bone broth didn’t work right. I took raw beef bones, roasted them for 45 min in the oven and put them in the IP with water, celery, onions, cider vinegar and did manual setting for 120 min, NPR. The broth looks very light (more like chicken than beef broth) and so far 2 hours later, no gel. Any ideas?

• Reply Renee Kohley January 2, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Hi Amy! As long as you soaked the bones with ACV before you cooked, your broth is fine! You might have had more water than you needed but I assure you, your broth has vitamins, minerals, as well as collagen! You can do another round of broth on those same bones and just use less water if you want a richer broth. There are times I don’t get as great of a gel and it can just be the water ratio or just that the bones might not have had as much collagen. The most collagen rich parts of an animal would be the chicken feet from chickens, and some of the marrow bones from beef bones.

• Reply Fermented Carrots {that kids will actually eat!} & The Benefits of Fermented Vegetables - Raising Generation Nourished January 8, 2017 at 7:29 pm

[…] How to Use Your Instant Pot To Make Bone Broth […]

• Reply jeannie January 11, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Hi, new to pressure cooking and my mom got me a differnt brand called Instant Cooker. It doesnt let me set the time for 120 minutes. The highest I can do is 90. Will it make a differecne if I do it for 90 and a second round for 30?

• Reply Renee Kohley January 11, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Hi Jeannie! I think that would be fine!

• Reply Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with Easy Mushroom Gravy - Live Simply January 17, 2017 at 5:00 pm

[…] **I use Bonafide Provisions Beef Broth found in the freezer section at Whole Foods. You may also make homemade beef broth, using the slow-cooker or Instant Pot.  […]